• Register Today It's free!

Overhead Console Wiring Help

m4dc0w

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 97XL
Trying to install an overhead console on my 97 EX, just ahave a few questions that the "How To" didn't explain.

I have the complete wiring harness with the couplers and all, and the external temp sensor. Also 2 overhead consoles, one for the EX with sunroof and one for without.

My questions is, Does the wiring go down the driverside or passenger side?
Also where exactly is the Temp Sensor supposed to go?

I'm about to tear out my dash to see if I can find a connector for the harness and avoid running any wires if I don't need to just in case they are already there.

Any help would be appreciated.

-mc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, mc. Hope this helps:

My questions is, Does the wiring go down the driverside or passenger side

A-pilar, driver side. There is a conector next to the park brake's pedal. In my case, unfortunately, no temperature wiring.
A-pilarconector.jpg

Also where exactly is the Temp Sensor supposed to go?

Behind the front bumper, driver side. There's a conector for the temperature sensor (besides the ABS and fog lamp conector).

I'm about to tear out my dash to see if I can find a connector for the harness and avoid running any wires if I don't need to just in case they are already there.

I did it in order to get access to the conector and run temperature's wiring through fire panel.

Just in case: http://www.explorer4x4.com/overhead.htm

Thanks

Thanks for the quick and informative reply. It gives me an idea now.

I actually found the spot for the temp sensor now, it actually looks like there is a sensor there already, bonus.

now to find the connecter, still haven't found it, but it doesn't mean it's not there.

Then the fun part the headliner..

-Ken

Is the Overhead Harness Plug harness present on a 1996 Ford Explorer XLT minus the temperature probe wire. I am wondering if there is a plug already preesnt on my XLT Explorer or will I need to run and splice each wire from the overhead console independantly. Thanks.

Back