• Register Today It's free!

Overhead Console?

Joes4x4Ranger

Reaction score
City, State
The center of Hell, Parker, Arizona!
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
Did ANY Gen 1 explorers come with an overhead console that displays Temp, Compass, MPG, Ect?

If not, is there any way to get one from a GEN 2 to work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It just wires in with the running lights, key on power and the a lead from the dome light. Then you just need a temp sensor, which is like 10 bucks. That's it. ;)

Hope you know that the ohc only has compass & temp guage and thats if you set up the sensor.

-mc

It was either '92 or '93 and up that they started putting overhead consoles in. In the years that had them the overhead console bracket will bolt right in. In '91s it won't and it takes some metal cutting and fabbing up there to get them to fit. There is a thread on here somewhere where someone put one in a '91.

Actually, it was late 93, and 94 Limited models that had them as options. The headliner will have to be cut for the bracket I believe....

Actually, it was late 93, and 94 Limited models that had them as options. The headliner will have to be cut for the bracket I believe....

Holy! :eek:

^-- Ahaha i was about to say the same thing. I nearly fell out of my chair here.

Thats right the 93 and 94 limited's had them, but you shouldn't have to cut the headliner for it to fit in....

Thats right the 93 and 94 limited's had them, but you shouldn't have to cut the headliner for it to fit in....

You do actually. You cut the headliner so you can install the bracket that the overhead console attaches to. Also so you can connect the wiring.

I can see making slots in the headliner.

you need to screw in the bracket too.

depending on the OHC you have 4 screws (non sunroof model) or 2 screws & clip (longer sunroof model).

Wiring was easy, go to the dome light, the radio dimmer wire, and sensor.

-mc

Brian, Ryan hasn't posted in ages.. Basically we thought the Sasquatch or something grabbed him.

Ah, that makes me feel better. I thought I was just being really stupid and missing something.

i'm looking fpr a overhead console for a 2005 explorer xlt with sun roof switch, rear air heat and map lite

Back