Overheating 2004 Ford Explorer 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Overheating 2004 Ford Explorer 4.0

nitro169

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
My explorer is overheating after 10-15 minutes of driving. The gauge goes up I pull over and let it cool, then its fine for another 10-15 minutes. I've replaced the thermostat, it doesn't seem to be losing any coolant, except once when I let it get too hot and some steam escaped. The cooling system tested good pressure, the oil is clean not brown or light colored. It runs great no misses, just a frustrating situation where it overheats. I did notice when I turn the heat on it will stay cool longer, sometimes 15+ minutes of driving before it begins to overheat.

Any ideas on what to do next?

Maybe there is enough coolant escaping through the exhaust to cause a vapor lock by the thermostat, but not enough loss that I would notice when checking the reservoir. Is there any way of checking for this without paying for a compression test?

maybe you have a leak from the lower thermostat housing. I had that issue. Unfortunately i had it happen when i was on trip so i had to go to mechanic to have it done which cost 400. The housing itself is 100 bucks and only like 3 or 4 bolts

If pressure test was done and was good I would think the thermostat housing would not be an issue. Did you also test the radiator cap (cap on the reservoir)? Another thing to consider is the fan clutch.

Back