own a sport trac in New york ? read on... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

own a sport trac in New york ? read on...

Pheonixx77

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 sport trac
just some info for all the wanna be tinted windows, yes i know mine dont match the rear window and on a ZINC YELLOW pioneer edition it drives me nutty having awesome back windows and crappy front ones.

so i know a couple cops, having almost been one myself, damn back injury ruining my life...anyways...

new york state law requires that 70% of ambient light MUST PASS THROUGH the window, tinted or not. this INCLUDES FACTORY TINT where applicable. you should also beware that if you bought your vehicle in PA, OH or any other stater bordering NY that their laws are VERY different and if tinted there they most likely will NOT comply with NY law.
( back seats and rear windows can be tinted to 5% limo dark if you like, theres no real laws governing this)
however there is HOPE!

go see you doctor if you are like me, i get bad headaches driving, ive gone "Snowblind" many times from the reflections of the sun off the snow here. Not to mention that my need for glasses probitits wearing decent sunglasses. The transitions lenses dont work in the car due to all the UV protection in auto glass.

get the form from new york state DMV and take it to your doctor. when you are granted a waiver you get a sticker for your vehicle allowing dark tint beyond ny states law.

This is NOT a recommendation to go lie to your doctor. If you have issues you can get them fixed.

if you lie to your doctor, shame on you, you deserve the huge ticket and whatever else comes raging down on you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New York has too many laws and bans, you should leave.

Lol and taxes are ridiculous but its such beautiful country up there. Adirondacks, 1000 Islands, finger lakes the list goes on

Its interesting they don't really have any laws against the rear windows being crazy tinted but can't go darker than 70 up front.

Because the people who make these laws only sit in the back seats of vehicles.

Yeah this state sucks.

Another thing that sucks in NY is front license plates! They can really ruin the look of a vehicles front end.

It's even worse since I go to school in SC and see everyone without front plates. Most of the surrounding states don't require em either.

Back