Mike 92 XLT

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Manhattan Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Expensive German Stuff
Yaaaaay, another thing broke.

Well, it looks like I need a new power steering pump. Mine decided to spring a leak from the housing while sitting in my parking lot. I was going to order a new one from Torrie at Ford Parts Network, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a good aftermarket unit that would be cheaper (and less noisy). I was reading through the archives and saw that Matt Adams put on an AGR one. Where could I pick one of those up?

peace

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, I just got a price from Torrie: $129 for a remanufactured Motorcraft unit, includes a $40 refundable core charge. How does that sound?

peace

Mike

I got mine at 4-wheel parts... theres probably lots of places that carry them though... I didn't think the AGR was bad, but not all that great. Problem was the first one had a crack in the housing and it was backordered, so I had to put the stock one back in then put in the replacement AGR when I got it...so I did the pump three times and that was no piece of cake!
If I had to do it again I'd just get another motorcraft one... and that price seems decent!

Thanks Matt, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I figured I'd do it right the first time and just get the Motorcraft. Look like Torrie's getting more of my money!

peace

Mike

My P/S pump has a pretty serious whine going on - am I in for a pump change soon?

When does it whine? If it does it when you are turning then yes you are going to need to replace it. Unless you are low on fluid. IF it just does it when you are at Idle or driving dow the road it could just be the belt. Is it hard to turn the wheels? Thats another indication that it is going or low on fliud.

It's almost a constant whine - and my belt is on the ragged edge of use. One of those I'll get to it soon kind of things.. Wheels aren't hard to turn, and the fluid level is fine. I'll try replacing the belt... THANKS!!!

Mine whines like crazy. I think I finally have tracked down where its leaking. I think one of the hoses has a leak. So now that I know where its at I am okay... :D

ive owned 3 ford products myself and my dad has always had ford trucks and every single one of them have a distinct p/s whine. reading 4wheel mag it had a "things we hate " list and ford power steering was in the top ten. i have never had a leak and i have only had to add one pints of fluid in 3 years but it is alwys wet looking like it has a slow leak. i dont know its just one of fords weeknesses.

That's what happened to mine. It was always wet around the P/S pump for years and last week I went out to the truck and there was a big puddle of P/S fluid underneath it.

peace

Mike

damn... iguess i have that to look forward to.

Back