p0171 and p0174 codes HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

p0171 and p0174 codes HELP!

aj213121

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Sport Trac '03 XLT
Alright so a few weeks ago I installed a 57 series K&N CAI and after the install my check engine light came on. I got the codes p0171 and p0174. I had my manifold gasket and my o2 sensors replaced recently. I also double checked everything for any leaks, replaced some of the worn out rubber pieces to ensure no air leaks, and i even cleaned my throttle, but still the CEL continues to stay on. I'm just looking for any help to fix this, i emailed K&N about a week ago and they yet to get back to me so im looking for some help please!

Oh and there was no CEL on before the CAI install. Could the CAI possibly be too much for my truck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

K&N filters are usually over oiled right out of the box. Long shot, but try cleaning the MAF sensor. GL
05110_web2.jpg

Cleaned the MAF with that exact cleaner sorry forgot to mention that, so i figured it could be the throttle so i cleaned that as well with a throttle cleaner :/

Oh and there was no CEL on before the CAI install.
That's very suspect and pretty much says it all. VACUUM LEAK.

I'll keep looking for tomorrow making sure everything is sealed up good again but i've checked so many times already i can't seem to find the problem. There isn't a possibility that the filter is just too much air for my engine causing my computer to go crazy or anything is there?

The K&N 57-2529 is by FAR the most popular and probably the best fitting open
air intake for the Gen 1 ST. Can't recall anyone ever ditching one because of DTC's.

hmm alrighty thanks a lot i appreciate the help, i'll look around more tomorrow and try to check for any vacuum leaks

plugged fuel filter? just a thought.

Try looking at the EGR Valve. It might be stuck open due to carbon build up. also check the gaskets that are around the bolts that attach the piping to the pod looking thing. Put the vehicle in park. rev the engine and get it screaming, spray some carb cleaner down the top of the pod looking thing and that should clear out some of the carbon. This was my problem for months. May be yours.

don't those codes mean bank 1&2 lean? If so last time I had those codes it turned out to be fuel pump. It wasn't keeping high enough pressure. Test fuel pressure. Also maybe remove CAI and reset computer and run it with original intake setup to see if CEL comes back on. If not it the CAI

Part number for the PCV elbow should be p0171/174. LOL

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314670

sorry for the bump, but i am still poking at this problem and i havent had much time, but the elbow as specified in this post seems to be leaking again, but it is covered with a liquid that smells almost like gasoline. Also, i noticed the part that it is connected to is very rusted and looks worn out. would anyone know what that part is called and is the wetness the result of a leak causing the p0171 and p0174 codes?

Its running lean. It is def a vacuum leak or the fuel pump. Do you hear a hissing sound when it runs? Can you get fuel pressure? Your plastic tubing to the throttle body could have a hole or leak. I would take the CAI off and put the stock one back on to see if you get it to go away

ok well on my truck when i got the codes it was not the typical elbow or hose to the pcv instead it was a hose that comes off the drivers side of the intake/throttle body then it runs along side the egr pipe and then across to the fender where it attaches to the evap purge solenoid. due to it being in the area of exhaust it dry rotted and crumbled in my hands i recommend checking that.

Hmmm I've tried everything check all my lines, nothing. I'm going to try and put my stock back on and I'll look over my cai to make sure everything is on right and see if the CEL comes on with the stock...so I'll get back to see if there are still problems

Can you check your fuel pressure? Autozone might have a gauge you can borrow/rent.

sorry for the bump, but i am still poking at this problem and i havent had much time, but the elbow as specified in this post seems to be leaking again, but it is covered with a liquid that smells almost like gasoline. Also, i noticed the part that it is connected to is very rusted and looks worn out. would anyone know what that part is called and is the wetness the result of a leak causing the p0171 and p0174 codes?
Please explain. If the rubber PCV elbow is leaking "again" it needs to be replaced.
The leaking fluid would be residue from fuel and oil vapors inside the crankcase.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I put my stock intake back in and been driving my car all day and no CEL.... So it has to be the k&n cai... Any ideas?

Back