P0340 problems tried almost everything??? Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P0340 problems tried almost everything??? Help

stanged94

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS 4.0 OHV
So I recently put a new engine in my 2000 XLs 4.0 OHV. The place that sent me the used engine sent me the wrong year. It appears to be out of a 1998. The sensors are a little different. Well the check engine light is on so I read it and it is P0340. I replace the cam sensor and the crank sensor visually checked the wires and the light is still on. The alternator and battery were both checked and are working normally. The only other thing I can think of is the ECU. Will the 2000 ECU work with the 1998 engine? THe suv is running just fine.

if the engine is out of a '98, you probably need a matching '98 ecu to keep everything happy. manufactures can, and do, make changes (large and small) during a single production year, let alone 2 years. that's why whenever you purchase a used engine it should come with the matching ecu. apparently your '00 ecu is seeing something it doesn't like.

Is it possible to have the dealership flash my computer? All of the used computers I am seeing say they may need to be flashed or reprogrammed in order to work with my vehicle.

yes it's possible for the dealer to re-flash your computer (better ask what they charge first) that may solve your engine/ecu problem, but it could create other problems with the other '00 vs '98 sensors. it's hard to say.

Back