p0401 and p0402 - 2005 4.0 Vin K | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

p0401 and p0402 - 2005 4.0 Vin K

joutlaw

Reaction score
I have a friend at work with a 2005 Explorer with the 4.0 VIN K motor with the check engine light on.

He is getting a p0401 and p0402 when the codes are read at Autozone. I've done some searching it comes back to the DPFE sensor, but I haven't found a part store that carries it for the 2005 model. I did some more searching and it's come back to the part is integrated into the EGR valve itself.

Should we replace the complete EGR assembly or am I just not able to find the part for the DPFE for the 2005?

Does anyone have the part #s for either the EGR valve assembly or the DPFE for the 2005 VIN K?

Is this an DIY fix that could be done with simple hand tools. We plan on doing the job after work one day this week if I can locate the part.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a friend at work with a 2005 Explorer with the 4.0 VIN K motor with the check engine light on.

He is getting a p0401 and p0402 when the codes are read at Autozone. I've done some searching it comes back to the DPFE sensor, but I haven't found a part store that carries it for the 2005 model. I did some more searching and it's come back to the part is integrated into the EGR valve itself.

Should we replace the complete EGR assembly or am I just not able to find the part for the DPFE for the 2005?

Does anyone have the part #s for either the EGR valve assembly or the DPFE for the 2005 VIN K?

Is this an DIY fix that could be done with simple hand tools. We plan on doing the job after work one day this week if I can locate the part.

Thanks

I'm bumping this thread because I have the same model,same engine and was quoted $98.00 for the EGR and $29.00 for the EGR gasket. It appears the sensor is built in the top of the EGR Valve so one would have to replace both even if the sensor is the only issue. Can anyone please confirm this is true before I shell out $130.00? Also, can anyone tell me where the EGR valve is located on the 2005 4.0 Flex engine?
I greatly appreciate any help....

There should be a couple of threads on this. 05 is the first year with the combined unit - you can't - repeat- can't buy them seperately.

It is a moderate pain in the ass to replace, IIRC it winds up being directly being the intake manifold (the firewall side).

-Shawn

PS - it looks like a gold disk attached to some plumbing with a black box on top of it that has wires and hoses coming out of it. About the size of your fist...

There should be a couple of threads on this. 05 is the first year with the combined unit - you can't - repeat- can't buy them seperately.

It is a moderate pain in the ass to replace, IIRC it winds up being directly being the intake manifold (the firewall side).

-Shawn

PS - it looks like a gold disk attached to some plumbing with a black box on top of it that has wires and hoses coming out of it. About the size of your fist...

You're right. Thanks for the info. I found it last night. It appears the EGR valve,sensor and solenoid are all a one peice unit.

Advice Welcome

Given the fact the EGR and sensor are all one unit and the pain it is to remove, is it worth trying to clean or should I just do a replacement? New one is @ $130.00. I get a P0401 code every time I clear it, it comes back within 20 miles of driving. Other than the SES on, it runs fine.
Thanks...

just join because have same problem with egr vale and codes on my 2005 explorer fond some ways to test some egr and componets but they are not combinde and found a unit for 8?.00 on geek parts

Back