Paint door handles

86EXPLORER86

Reaction score
City, State
SANTA CLARITA CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
FAST 2004 XLT 4.0 STRIPED
Does any one know how to take off the door handles so i could paint them white

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think you have to take off the inner door panel and unscrew it from there.

I haven't taken mine off yet, but I am sure they bolt up from the inside. If you take the door panel off you should be able to get to them. Let us know!

Also, you can buy smooth, paint-to-match pieces that will take paint a lot better and look a lot better than the textured ones. They are pretty cheap online.

yeah i want smooth paint

Because it will possibly be cheaper than buying new unpainted ones, and will definitely be cheaper than having them professionally painted.

I'm going to buy new and have them painted, but that's because I don't feel like messing with a salvage yard.

jluv / 86EXPLORER86, if you can get em off, check with a paint shop anyway for the heck of it - a shop around here painted those ugly reflectors mountaineers have on the tailgate for $40 to match the car! Removed and replaced them for me too....

jluv / 86EXPLORER86, if you can get em off, check with a paint shop anyway for the heck of it - a shop around here painted those ugly reflectors mountaineers have on the tailgate for $40 to match the car! Removed and replaced them for me too....

I'm getting mine done at the same time as my bumpers, fender flares, rear hatch pieces, and side molding strip. The place I'm probably going to use charges about $50 per shop hour.

Because it will possibly be cheaper than buying new unpainted ones, and will definitely be cheaper than having them professionally painted.

I'm going to buy new and have them painted, but that's because I don't feel like messing with a salvage yard.

the XLT Sport, EB, and limited handles are also smooth instead of the textured feel of the XLS and XLT handles

my 2003 XLT has smooth painted handles color matched (silver) to the rest of the vehicle. I agree though, i hate the look of the black handles on some Exs, it just looks dirty, they should all have been painted to match.

Back