• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Painted Trim With Bed Liner

csull247

Reaction score
City, State
brooksville fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xlt
OK I did a little testing today, I went and got some of that Dupli Color bumper spray to try it out, I also had the truck bed coating as well and even tryed some of my touch up paint I got from the dealer. its not the stuff you buy at auto parts store. Anyways I prep the cladding by wet sanding and did three different sections. After drying for one day I went and strached each one to see how they held up. The bed liner paint came right off as well as my touch up paint. then came the bumper spray it actually held out the best. stayed on Oh and I failed to mention that I also tryed the fusion from krylon yeah it came off to. I figured I would share this to save some people some time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

csull247

Reaction score
City, State
brooksville fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xlt
I tryed three diffrent types of paint. the bedliner spray, fusion by krylon and bumper spray by dupli color I wet sanded a piece of the plastic trim and applied all three. olet set for a day and went back test the durablity by straching each one. The fusion came right off, the bed liner spray did as well. the bumper spray held up the best. Just thought I would share that with everyone.

ajthefishermen

Reaction score
City, State
Conneticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
See what i mean! I knew it was a good choice that's why I choose it glad i could help.

Zoose

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 4.0 Sport 4x4
is it a bumpy texture like rhino lining that shops do? It looks really good and my 02 has bumper rust problems I wanted to do something like this that would look good and keep moisture out but I dont want the rough texture.

guilateen

Reaction score
City, State
RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 mounty awd 4.6
Anyone know if u can color match the bed bedliner paint. I drive about 50 miles a day on highway and my front bumper looks like s&*t. Also aj how do u like that bull bar def going to check him out on eBay. Bigrondo hit me up on that meeting I'm between the both of u in Manville RI.

Sams01XplrSprt

Southern Cali Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Newport Beach California & Bay Area California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport (sold)
looking good keep up good work

atxhookem

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLS
Hey ajthefisherman, just wondering how the Bed Armor on your trim is holding up? I was thinking about doing that today. Thanks.

DingoNatas

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer E.B.
Hey guys, my trim was all scratched and faded so i decided to paint my bumpers and trim all with spray on black bed liner. It came out awesome it stands out and has a nice rugged look i was going for. If you have any questions ask. Also tell me what you think!

How is the spray on liner holding up? I'm thinking of switching my tan/gold trim-running boards-bumper-and-such to black bedliner. Was your bumper plastic?

IMG_20151026_141324364_HDR_zpsmgybktp9.jpg

MrRockwood

Reaction score
City, State
Trabuco Canyon California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
Here is the old and new together.....

My%20ex.jpg

Here is the finished job.... plus the Pillars as well.

bedliner%20plastics.jpg

Jmedina613

Reaction score
City, State
Clermont Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
Here is the old and new together.....

My%20ex.jpg

Here is the finished job.... plus the Pillars as well.

bedliner%20plastics.jpg

what kind of bed liner did you use, and did you take the trim off or just tape it?

MrRockwood

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
I taped it off and it was pretty easy. I saw a post where a guy painted his rims using playing cards in between the rim and the tire so I used that method then taped it as well. Came out awesome. I used the rustoleum rattle can stuff and it is holding great. The only thing I can say is that if you have ever used any of the back to black or plastic rejuvenation stuff then make sure to wipe it down with acetone or lacquer thinner first or else the paint will scratch off easily.

Jmedina613

Reaction score
City, State
Clermont Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
I taped it off and it was pretty easy. I saw a post where a guy painted his rims using playing cards in between the rim and the tire so I used that method then taped it as well. Came out awesome. I used the rustoleum rattle can stuff and it is holding great. The only thing I can say is that if you have ever used any of the back to black or plastic rejuvenation stuff then make sure to wipe it down with acetone or lacquer thinner first or else the paint will scratch off easily.

Thanks! my ex is the same color as yours, right now it just has flat black spray paint and its chipping so im going to bed line it next. plasti dip your emblems! it would look dope!

MrRockwood

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
Thanks! my ex is the same color as yours, right now it just has flat black spray paint and its chipping so im going to bed line it next. plasti dip your emblems! it would look dope!

I'm torn between blacking them out or just removing them and going with black ford emblems. My blacked out FX2 decals are on the way.