Painting front valiance on 91-94's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painting front valiance on 91-94's

Mp3SUV

Reaction score
City, State
Rockford, IL (home), Southern IL (school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XL 4x4
i have a 93 X and i was wondering how easy it would be to paint the front valiance thing that is located under the bumper. i am suprised that nobody has done this yet, i think it would make the X look pretty nice. is this possible to do, and if so, how easy?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

paint

I have a 93 sport, which has almost all the trim black, including the valence. I too have thought about painting it, but what really stood out was the black grill, so I painted that instead. It was real easy, so maybe the valence will be too. I just took it off, sanded it many times, primed, painted, and clear-coated it, and it looks great. It didn't match perfectly at first with my 9 year old paint job, but it eventually faded pretty close to the rest of the body now (2.5 years later).

Dead Link Removed

I already got the second set of grille and headlight boarders i was waiting for. Im going to paint it first see how it looks then switch it, incase i dont like it. Im planning on doing this as soon as my finals are up (this week).. ill let you know how it goes. Im now thinking about painting the chrome bumper green like the truck and leaving the black trim black. but painting the valence also.
Im up in the air with that though. the grill and headlight boarders are a definite.

Isn't the valance plastic? Or am I thinking of something else?

Robb

I ask b/c I have had some experience with getting plastic bumpers (bumper covers actually) painted and learned this. There is paintable plastic and non-paintable plastic. Non-paintable plastic can be painted but it doesn't stick very well, especially if a silicone product has ever been put on the plastic. I would think since all these valances came black (I think), that they may be of the non-paintable variety. This may be incorrect, but it has been my experience.

Robb

Yes, there were primed and professionally prepped and painted. I remember when ordering the replacements, everyone asking if I wanted them paintable or not. On one, I didn't order a replacement b/c it was in perfect shape, and the shop said "oh yea, no problem", within a couple of months of re-painting, it was peeling in several spots.

I don't mean to say anything in concrete, just suggesting some questions that may have to be asked.

Robb

Humm.. thanks...
When i go to the guy who is painting it ill ask him what he thinks.

oh yea, forgot all about this. You have to use a flexing agent when painting plastic.

Robb

morrisey0: flexing agent??

ChuckyD: post pics when u get those painted

stuff

Yeah, the flexing agent does help a lot. It is a must for marine applications and fiberglass body kits to prevent flaking/cracking. Anyway, I have a question now. Can you paint over chrome? How hard is it and what are the procedures if you can? I am asking b/c I may need a new rear bumper for my truck and the only used ones (cheap) that I can find are chrome but I want a black one to match the black trim on the 91-94 sport models.
Thanks all.

I have painted a chrome bumper before and sanded it down real good, then used a spray paint that was for chrome for a preliminary primer. Then used a regular primer, and then the paint. Nothing really special and it lasted for as long as I owned the vehicle.

Back