Painting my trim this weekend...

mimsc1982

Reaction score
City, State
Tallahassee,Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT
Painting my trim this weekend...*UPDATED W/PICS*

Hello guys...I decided to paint my trim this weekend. I need opionins on how to go about it as I have never painted anything. My ex used to have chrome 24's on it thats why I have chrome pillars. I took them off years ago. Anyway I want to paint it black. Should I go with the bedliner stuff or the bumper paint. I have seen numerous threads so Im torn on which approach.

Thanks

35jccaa.jpg

btw this is how I used to look : )

25z477q.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bed liner will be tougher, but more expensive and it will give it a rough, bumpy texture. with your rig i would go with krylon fusion spray paint for plastics. use satin finish. make sure your preparation work is good and that will help your finished product. there are so many how to's on this, just look some up. quick tips: make sure you have cleaned the trim 100%, use a tac cloth to wipe the trim down before painting, make sure your tape work is good to go, do not rush the prep work, as a matter of fact, dont rush any step, do it right and take your time. multiple thin coats, never spot spray, and one more thing; TAKE YOUR TIME! i cant stress that enough. good luck and post pics!

Thanks man...do you recommend sanding and using a primer? If so, which ones. Im going to go with that Krylon Fusion spray. I guess semi-gloss??

Thanks

some people sand, some dont. i would suggest using a really fine grit sandpaper if you do (1000 grit). sanding will help the paint adhere better. you can also get a bottle of adhesion promoter which will also help the paint stick. with the color of your trim as it is, i would prime. also, do some searches on here about wetsanding. it might be something you want to do. i would also really stick to using a satin finish. gloss and even semi gloss often comes out looking a little tacky when sprayed on plastics. in fact, you dont see too many paints for plastics available in gloss. if you havent had experience using spray paints, practice your technique on something else like cardboards or junk pastic you might have laying around. you can also use this time to see if you like gloss or satin better. good luck!

First remove them from the truck, you can leave them on and tape it off. I say take the time and remove them. Wash them really well, goto a auto parts store. Get some cleaners for paint prep. A light sanding, some etching primer, and good auto paint. Take your time, its not as hard as you think. Just prep right, and don't rush.

First remove them from the truck, you can leave them on and tape it off. I say take the time and remove them. Wash them really well, goto a auto parts store. Get some cleaners for paint prep. A light sanding, some etching primer, and good auto paint. Take your time, its not as hard as you think. Just prep right, and don't rush.

auto paint??....everyone says use Krylon fusion.

The steps I was told:

clean
sand
adhesion promoter
Krylon fusion
clear coat

I painted my trim. I cleaned it really well with brake cleaner, then hit it with some adhesion promoter (helps paint stick to plastics). Then i painted it with duplicolor trim paint (semi gloss black). It's held up pretty fine and its been over a year. I did not do any sanding.

I painted my trim. I cleaned it really well with brake cleaner, then hit it with some adhesion promoter (helps paint stick to plastics). Then i painted it with duplicolor trim paint (semi gloss black). It's held up pretty fine and its been over a year. I did not do any sanding.

Do you think black would look good against forest green?

I have the estate green (which is lighter) and it looks great. The forest green is darker so it will look much better:
DSC00674.jpg

DSC00666.jpg

Just remember to take your time and its all about prep. I think that as long as you clean it well and use adhesion promoter (primer for painting plastic) you should be fine. I didn't sand because you risk causing unevenness if you don't sand evenly causing low and high spots which are dramatized when you paint over them. I live in AZ and did it on a dry day (like no humidity its AZ!) where there was no wind. I notice you are in FLA
so make sure you do this on a day where the weather lends itself.

@ SUL73NAZ

I really appreciate it...you have the same ex as mine. I currently have the polished aluminum billet grille (top & bottom) I want to do that as well. Also I noticed yur wheels. Did you spray them yourself. Can you explain what and how you did your wheels, also what kind of paint should I use for the grille. Do you think the Krylon Fusion "Satin" is good?

Thanks ...m doing all this Tommorrow on my day off

Also @ SUL73NAZ

how many coats of each?...do you recommenda clear coat after?

Krylon fusion is very good. Buy a can and practice with that...The reason I went with the duplicolor is they offer an adhesion promoter (so I figured their paint their promoter) and I had experience laying it down since I've used it for other projects. As far as wheels go I would just buy rustoleum (semi gloss). The wheels you do want to sand down with very very fine sandpaper to get the stock coating off of them... sand them down to the bare aluminum. I didn't use any type of primer on them.

I didn't use any clear. I do 2-3 light coats. Use light coats so you dont get runs and get even coverage. Don't stress too much on the 1st coat cause that's what most people do. Just lay down a good base and fill in any unevenness with subsequent coats.

Krylon fusion is very good. Buy a can and practice with that...The reason I went with the duplicolor is they offer an adhesion promoter (so I figured their paint their promoter) and I had experience laying it down since I've used it for other projects. As far as wheels go I would just buy rustoleum (semi gloss). The wheels you do want to sand down with very very fine sandpaper to get the stock coating off of them... sand them down to the bare aluminum. I didn't use any type of primer on them.

did you take the wheel of the tire and do it...or just the front part?

Just the front and I taped the tires off... no one is looking at the inside of your wheels unless it's a show truck.

Just the front and I taped the tires off... no one is looking at the inside of your wheels unless it's a show truck.

exactly...man Im doing all this tomorrow....thanx!

No problem pal,

Post pics so I can see the difference!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yezzir...wheels off truck but tires stay on wheels... that's the easiest cleanest way imo

Back