Painting rotors - think this will be ok? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painting rotors - think this will be ok?

expo5.0 said:
i just taped off the rotor where the pad didn't actually contact it, so that i painted about a 1" ring on it. i think that is the best of both worlds

How did you handle the edges and the fins?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ps: not sure if you can tell by the pic, but the color was "Aluminum" - a silver color. The sun was so bright in the picture it looks almost white. It looks more like the shaded part of the rotor (where the fins on the top are).

Interesting thread
Am going to paint my rotors soon, the alum color is of interest but will stick with my first choice, sort of a reddish Brown high temp I found at pepboys, take care
S

Reddish-brown = rust color?

spta97 said:
Reddish-brown = rust color?
Absolutly not
Is a custom mixed blend, matches my exhaust pipe :confused:

glad you didn't have any ill effects. I've seen a few problems firsthand due to painted rotors. Generally it's not that big of a deal, but it also depends on what paint you use and how flammable it is :eek:

Alec said:
glad you didn't have any ill effects. I've seen a few problems firsthand due to painted rotors. Generally it's not that big of a deal, but it also depends on what paint you use and how flammable it is :eek:

:D :roll: LOL

I am glad it worked.

Thanks all for your errr...ehem...support :D

SiLenZe said:

Next time. I was going on a trip when I realized how bad the rotors and pads were the first time. It was literally metal on metal even though the dealership told me that they were fine (last time I trust a dealership). My only option was to get them locally and throw them in until 10PM that night. I'll be more attentive next time.

Alec said:

That would have been a Darwin award huh? :)

What I thought were stress fractures in the paint were actually paint flakes. It had the consistency of a pencil eraser when you use it and it breaks off. So it looks like the paint may have held up to the temp but not the friction. It was basically like I hit it with a big belt sander.

Followup:

Well the paint is holding up so well I'm thinking about going after my rears before it gets too cold to paint. The problem is they are all rusted. Would a sand blaster be too much for taking off the rust? Should I just stick with a wire brush or dremmel with a wire brush attachment?

Back