Does anyone think this will be a sweet X? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does anyone think this will be a sweet X?

STSJayDub

Reaction score
City, State
South Side Houston Texas but Reppin BMT
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
Ok here are my plans for my X. I wanted to run them thru here and see if anyone has any suggestions, or anything like that. Let me know please.

Aight here goes:
Exterior:
1) X-Spec Air Dam
2) Explorer Express Speed Grille with Billet Aluminum Insets, and Red on Black ford oval
3) X-Spec Running Boards
4) Fiberglass Roll Pan w/ LP Box, or LP mounted on a swinging bezel
5) 97 Rear Hatch Door
6) Maybe Suicided Rear Doors (I wanna try, but I Dunno if its possible with the wheel wells)
7) Shaved Everything (Door Handles, Roof Rack, Antennae, etc etc)
8) 20" Limited 357 Blades
9) 3 1/2"-5" Drop
10) Custom 2 Tone Paint, with Candy Apple Red at the Top and Midnight black at the bottom, divided right about where the factory Pinstripe would be by a Chrome Stripe
11) Cowl Hood from Explorer Express
12) Diamond Headlights and Clear Corners
13) Stock tails with the amber painted over
14) Outline of texas airbrushed on tailgate with TEXAS BOYZ underneath it, to match my tatoo

Interior
1) Black leather seats from a 02+ w/ Black & Tan Gucci Inserts
2) Black Carpet and Headliner
3) Black & Tan Gucci Visors and inserts on the Dash and door panels
4) 7.2" TFT LCDs in the headrests & Visors, 10.4" Flipdown for the back, and 15" Flipdown over the cargo
5) 4 more Quantum Audio 10s and 2 more amps in custom Gucci Box
6) Custom Red & Black Guages from Speedhut
7) Kick Panels with 5" Quantum Audio Component sets and tweeters in each door pillar
8) Mid range Speakers mounted in hiddin location somewhere.
9) Possibly a custom Sunroof
10) Red Neons in the Cargo

Alright thats it. I also want a new engine (maybe a V8 or a 5.0) and a supercharger, along with an X-Spec Handling Kit. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments? Negative or positive, any feedback would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

some of the things will be too much.

keep it simple as you can, or modify it to the point that it becomes simple again.

personally, the interior plans sound a little bit like they might be hard to make work, and it could look better without spending so much money but you'll find out what will work etc. when you get to that point.

let me know if i can help you to make it reality

I was gonna kind of trying to stick with a simple exterior, but I also want it to look kind of sporty because I wanna race it. The more I think about it, the less i want suicide doors, but Im still thinking. I really want 2 tone paint, mostly because Ive never seen a Expo with 2 tone paint. Do you think itll look good on our kind of truck? The only thing I was thinking about that Id think was really over the top was the airbrush on the back. Im eaither getting it airbrushed, or a custom sticker on the window. Everyone in my clubs gonna get it on their vehicle somehow (Even though my "club" is a small group of me and my freinds).

What dont you like about the interior? The only major modifications I was thinking of Is the Gucci, and all the TVs but I dont know. My freinds dad does Custom Interios, so Ill be getting a good deal on the seats, the gucci, headliner, etc etc. I love gucci interior on cars, but Im always willing to listen to others suggestions (specially after seing your truck) so any would be appreciated.

Speaking of which, Would you be willing to make a Custom Center console for my car, kind of like yours. I hae the simple console that doesnt go the dash. If i send you the TV i have mounted there, would you be willing to flush mount it in the location the stock ashtray would be? Would this even be possible? Or could you just make an add on i could mold to the front of my stock console? I like the one I have, and it gives me a hiding spot for my faceplate and other valubles (under the drink holders, i can pop it in and out) Thanks for your help man.

i defnitely could make you any interior pieces you wanted whenever.

i just don't know about converting to the newer seats, and if its worth your space to put that many of those subs in there when some cheaper subs will do.

i really like the two tone paint idea and i love black and red. i'm against the chrome stripe though, i think it should something else, but not sure what.

all iin all its a good plan, and as you proceed you'll change it so much that you'll laugh at it one day.

if you'd ahve asked me what i was going to do to my truck even 6 months ago i'd have had no clue.

as for the console, i can build it any way you could want it, and i even have a car i can test fit it in just like yours etc. (not expo5.0 since i don't want to take her apart) what your suggesting for the screen would definitely work

Nah Im deffinatly getting the Quantum Audio subs. 2 hits real hard, but Im a bass freak so I want 4 for listening too. The others are basically just for show, but will definatly get there use.
I forget who, but i saw someone on here who had placed the 2003 seats in his 99. He said they just bolted in. If they dont work, Ill just stick with seats from a 99. Thats not really a major caoncern. I basically wanted them because I want headrests.
I think a chrome stripe will look real good. About 1/2 to 1 inch thick, going all the way around right underneath the window, then swooping down under the grill at the front. I found a picture in the new street trucks just like I want it, but with a silver stripe. But I can already tell what your talking about about plans. When I got my first X a yeat ago, I planned on getting 4 15s, 8 TVs, color changin paint, body drops, air bags, all kinds of crazyness and now Ive changed. So whos to say in a few months Ill even want it the same.

But Ive just found a problem. The rims Ive wanted since I was like 8 are only made in FWD. Can I get adapters to fit them on my truck?

did u say you have never seen a two tone ex they came factory two tone

i mean in the scheme i want. the factorys is divided about mid way down, mine will be divided about 2-3 inches beneath the windows and will go all the way to the front, where it the line will go under the contours of tha lights and the grille.

if you actually did all these mods your truck would definately be something else. IMO the black would look better on top with red on the bottom. other than that i personally am against such an aggressive drop and 20" wheels. maybe an inch or 2 and some 18" but i don't think you're gonna like the ride quality much with the drop and wheels you are considering.

i definately approve of the EE airdam and cowl induction hood. i am considering both of those along with a lund windjammer. if i knew someone who could prep and paint the hood and windjammer to match the factory color i would probably do it pretty soon. but oh well, there are plenty of other things i can do to my X myself.

Sounds sweet. Do what is important and pleasing to you rather than try to please someone else. My 2 cents

yea im the main person Im worried about pleasing. Right now it looks like Im gonna be saving for a little while. Im gonna drop the new engine as soon as i can. Then get rims, with the X-Spec kit and Drop. After that im gunna buy all the body parts, then paint it. Then do gucci seats.

Also, If I got air shocks (not adjustable or whatever) would it give me a better ride quality? I definatly want it dropped low on 20s (Down south we puttin 24s on Box Chevys and Cutlass', Id get lauphed at if I was on 18sin a SUV, No offense to anyone). Im not gone have it all finished any time soon, but one day I hope Ill have my dream truck like this.

Being lowered and on 20's the ride quality won't be very good, no matter what you do.

o well. I could get air suspension for about the same as the x-spec, and have great quality. But i wqanna race it so i dont no

you wont be racing it with that stuff in it

for real think about what you really want it to do- its possible to have it somewhat both ways, but not really enough that you should be concerned about tractions or whatever.

i should have out it better. by race, i dont mean like at a track, you know? just a few stop light pull outs, or if i have to hurry accross town on the freeway, being able to get their with ease, no what I mean? I want it low, and ablke to corner pretty good, but not take sharp ass turns doin 100, know what I mean? Maybe i shopuld go head and get the air bags. Theyll be alot smoother right? And Itll still handle good when low right? I think itll be better anyway. Last thing I want is to scrape the underside of my truck goin uphill into a parking lot.

a proper air bag system will easily outhandle the stock explorer stuff, or even the x-xpec or saleen spec suspensions

also, a lowered x on 20s can ride great, even with just the air lift helper bags in the rear and the proper tires.

it can? thats what i was hopen, but everyone else said its not possible. Jus get air shocks with some good tires? Will 50 series tires on 20s fit alright on a X? Or do I have to get 35s?

not air shocks with good tires- i meant a properly designed suspensions system with bags. This would be a very expensive air bag system that would have to be designed by a real professional with experience.

however, you can go the cheap and easy route as i've done with the air lift stuff on top of the stock leafs and it does handle and ride great.

you definitely don't need 35 series, you can run 275/45 or a variety of other sizes if you want even with bags

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How much improvement does the air ride make over stock?

Back