Park assist/hill start assist malfunction | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Park assist/hill start assist malfunction

Chester Copperpot

Reaction score
City, State
Wenatchee WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Purchased a 2016 explorer sport last week. 5 days later while backing up, the camera staring glitching and the car struggled to actually back up. Tried backing into my driveway and the same thing, except this time the camera quit working completely and the car put itself in neutral shutting off the light indicator for my gearshift as well. Was able to shift into park then back to reverse to get it parked. The error message said, "Park Assist fault" as well as "Hill Assist fault". I have been looking all over the web for info and I'm seeing that a lot of people have the same or similar issues with park assist and hill start assist, but no one ever posts what the resolve for the problem was. Can someone, anyone, please post what caused it and how they got this problem fixed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you detail the part where you said it struggled to backup? Like it wouldn't move when in reverse? Did you buy this private party or from a shop/dealer?

btw ive the seen the goonies 😎

Can you detail the part where you said it struggled to backup? Like it wouldn't move when in reverse? Did you buy this private party or from a shop/dealer?

The screen was glitching between a complete white screen and the reverse view and felt like the car was braking repeatedly on its own as I had my foot on the gas backing up.

The screen was glitching between a complete white screen and the reverse view and felt like the car was breaking repeatedly on its own as I had my foot on the gas backing up.

Bought it from a dealership. No warrantee. 😕

Welcome to the Forum Chester. :wave:
How many miles are on the vehicle? Just wondering if it might be worth looking at an Extended Warranty.
If this issue is affecting the camera, I'm wondering if it might be an electrical problem rather than strictly mechanical.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Chester. :wave:
How many miles are on the vehicle? Just wondering if it might be worth looking at an Extended Warranty.
If this issue is affecting the camera, I'm wondering if it might be an electrical problem rather than strictly mechanical.

Peter
Hi Peter. It has 100083 miles. Just purchased a week ago. Problem started over the weekend.

Back