Creager

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport 4x4
Whats up guys.

My parking brake is dead. Everything in the rear brakes is new and adjusted to full braking power as of last week. My braking power is great, petal is nice and responsive. Parking brake worked fine up until this morning, where it just went straight to the floor with 0 holding power. It sort of gradually died, over the past week it had gotten weaker and weaker until today it quit...

I searched and came up with a recall Ford had with the parking brakes... i wasnt sure if that was my problem... any input would be apperciated.

Again all the brake hardware, and the shoes are new with Napa brand hardware/adjusters and Bendix brake shoes. Drums are stock and somewhat grooved, but i adjusted them into my liking. The brakes as a whole are working great, but no parking brake...

The cable itself is adjustable correct?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you snap the line? otherwise, check the cable parts inside where they manually hit the shoe against the drum

jimabena74 said:
did you snap the line? otherwise, check the cable parts inside where they manually hit the shoe against the drum

I dont believe so, that could be a possiblity.

I tried to look under it this afternoon, but there wasnt much i could do by trying to hit the e-brake and look underneith at the same time haha. It was moving, just with out effort. I was able to see the little spring that is attached to the cable and is mounted to the frame, it was tightning up.

You think it might have gotten disconnected/failed inside the drums?

Did you adjust the brake witht the suspension drooping. I have the SOA and if you adjust the brake with the suspension drooping it puts tension on the cable so when you adjust the brakes it is not properly adjusted when the suspension is in the loaded position.

Could be worse, my parking brake worked so well last week, I couldn't release it. I had to drive 1/2 mile to the shop with the brake on (as opposed to wait 3+ hours for the tow truck). The smell was terrific.

I does sound like you snapped a line...If not external then crack open the drums and ensure the cable is correctly seeting on the durm lever...I would check this asap to ensure any broken/loose don't get caught between the pad and drum...

The recall on the PArking Brake has to do with the Ratchet Mechanism on the PB Pedal assembly. It will skip when you apply the brake. Mine does it. So every 3rd or 4th time you apply the brake, it will slip, you'll have to disengage the brake, and try again.

You need to determine if you have a broken cable or the Brake assembly died on you.

freak7.gif
...ahhh i wish i didnt work so much so i could get to this hahah
gmorning.gif
school too...

So, could the cable fatigue inside the line? The cable itself is pulling atleast before the drums, the actual line isnt snapped. I havent gotten a chance to take the drums off, but i know that sound when stuff gets caught between the drum and the shoe. I havent started hearing it, so im sure nothing has 'come apart,' atleast i hope. haha those parts ar'rent exactly cheap.

I'm wondering if the cable was stretched to its limit, and went to lunch.

Creager said:
I'm wondering if the cable was stretched to its limit, and went to lunch.

MazdaGreg probably hit the nail on the head, the ratcheting mechanism is a common problem. Mine does it about 1 time in 50 pumps of the e-brake.
Line breakage is not as common

I found a new difference between the 91-92 and the 93-94 model years. The Parking Brake on the 91-92 models has a manual adjusting mechanism. Instead of the Ratcheting mechanism that you guys were referring to, i had a simple nut to screw back and forth that adjusted the tension in the line.

The Haynes manual mentioned this difference.

Adjusting the cable fixed my e-brake issue. Thanks guys.

Hrmm... Okay?

Parking brake is working; although after I adjusted it I've been getting some major (pain in the ass) squeaking coming from the rear end... it sounds very high pitched (kind of faint) and works very intermittent. I can drive a couple miles without hearing it, and then it will start squeaking for half a mile. Not much like a bed squeak, you know, what the hokie pokie is all about? Its more random... can't quite pin point it. It happens more when I negotiate turns, but yet it makes the noise when I'm going straight at times too. It’s so vague that I’m certain it has to be something to do with this parking brake.

I tried to loosen the cable some to see if it would help... no anvil. Squeaking' just as much as before? anyone? I’m guessing the cable is making the rear brakes sit. Since sometimes that squeak will turn in to a moan just like when the parking brake is too weak or not engaged all the way.

Back