• Register Today It's free!

Parking Brake Pads Question

bdriver000

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 4-door XLT
I have a 1996 2WD 4door explorer. I just did a brake job (changed front/back rotors and pads) and saw that my parking brake shoes are extremely thin and on one side they are cracked.

I am trying to figure out how to get to the parking brake. Here is an image (click for larger version):

Am I going to have to remove the axleshaft (is that the right term?) to fix the P-brake? It seems like a ton of work (from what I've read in the Haynes guide)--drain rear diff, then refilling it after you are done.

Has anyone else done this (I've done a search and I didn't see any how-to guides) without removing the axle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, you don't need to remove the shaft. It's a b!tch to get at the required spring-clips or whatever the hell they're called, but doable.

First, remove the springs that stretch across the upper and lower parts of the shoes - a needlenose pliers should work here. You can now push/pull each shoe to gain access for the next step. Now, there are T-shaped pins that come from behind the spashplate and through the shoe on each side. You'll notice round spring-like things that clip onto the pins. Depress the spring and turn to remove it from the pin for each shoe. That'll free up the shoes for removal.

You may want to consider replacing the adjuster while you're in there...Bare minimum you want to take it apart, wire brush it well, and grease it up.

Put it back together and follow the instructions in the haynes manual to adjust the unit.

Good luck.

I'd say having some brake tools would make it easier. I did it without, so I'm just guessing the right tools would have made it easier. ;-) Not bad though. I don't remember adjusting anything though. Just replaced the shoes and off I went. This was over a year ago, but now my parking brake isn't working very well. I suspect that I either need to adjust the brake line, or one of them frayed, and needs to be replaced.

rizzjc said:
I don't remember adjusting anything though. Just replaced the shoes and off I went. This was over a year ago, but now my parking brake isn't working very well. I suspect that I either need to adjust the brake line, or one of them frayed, and needs to be replaced.

If you didn't bother with the adjuster in the first place, that would lead to an improperly operating e-brake in the long run. It's what makes the shoes expand just enough to reach the "hat in a drum" part of the rotor.

Well, you are probably right. I don't *remember* adjusting anything, but that could be just 'cause I don't remember, and the person helping me was smart enough to know better. I guess I should look at that sometime. I'll have to look up the adjuster, and see if it needs ... adjusting.

Back