• Register Today It's free!

New brake pads question

TwiztidRat

Reaction score
City, State
blah
Year, Model & Trim Level
blah blah
Hey guys I had to replace the pads both front and rear on my ex. I had my buddy do them, and noticed immediate brake difference.

The bad thing is the brakes always seem slightly applied when driving, coasting to a stop is quicker, they make rubbing noise when moving from a dead stop. There's a burning smell, and the rotors are hot to the touch. What I'm wondering is is this normal behavior with new brake shoes? He seems to know his stuff but I'm thinking with brake repairs not so much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are ALL the wheels getting hot? Were the caliper slide pins and hardware cleaned and lubed properly? If they were it's most
likely sticking calipers or restricted hoses. Avoid driving until corrected or you will destroy parts very quickly. Parking brakes OK?

Did he put them in backwards? Not an unknown happenstance even for a seemingly knowledgeable auto tech. Is the friction material side toward the rotor, or is the metal side toward the rotor?

How was the caliper piston pushed back to put the new brakes in? I've seen some people use unorthodox methods that can cause damage to the piston. Your suppose to use a C-clamp with an old block of wood or one of the old pads against it and slowly compress back.
Caliper pins are also a cause of this. If they are not lubricated, the caliper cannot slide smoothly on it.
Does it happen of every wheel, or just 1?

No, for that you are supposed to use a brake tool, not c-clamp contraptions that can damage the back side of the piston.

orly_3376.jpg

My brother had a restricted break line hose and my son found a bad caliper. In any case don't drive with this problem.

I've never seen the brake tool you show in use. Back when I had a '93 Taurus I made a tool to wind the puck back into the caliper. Why did Ford leave that design?

That's for the Ford disc rear brakes on Taurus/Sable - they have the parking brake on the same caliper (disc brakes) and the associated adjuster, that's why you have to screw them back in.
Explorer has the parking brake inside the drum, independent of the disc calipers.

Hey guys I unfortunately don't know everything he did cause I was at work. I assume he did the necessary procedure and broke the brakes in before driving off but I haven't spoke to him yet. Someone told me that my rear rotors are rusted and since those weren't replaced the new brake pads are rubbing against the rust. I am gonna have it inspected tomorrow for sure.

I was aware that the Taurus used the disc for the parking break and the Explore uses pain in the but inside the drum, independent of the disc calipers. Did Ford abandon the parking brake on the same caliper? That seemed reliable and cost effective. Not to mention simpler to maintain. I got over 100k from those calipers.

Just an update guys I got the brake issue resolved. Turned out the brake pads were installed backwards on the pass side and had to replace the rotor in the process. Guy meant well but is clearly a dumbass.

Sorry you had to learn the hard way, also happy it is good now and others will be wise to such a possibility. Thanks

Qed.

Back