• Register Today It's free!

Parking Brake question.....

1tufgt

Reaction score
City, State
Bluegrass St.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT Sport Trim
What does a 2003 Explorer use for the parking brake? Brake Pads or Brake Shoes?

I know it is a disc setup but wasn't sure if there was shoes used as the parking brake.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

shoes in the hat section of the rear rotors

shoes in the hat section of the rear rotors

How often do they need to be adjusted because when I press down on our parking brake it doesn't seem to hold like it used to.

Could it be that the rotor is worn so much that it could be the culprit?

How often do they need to be adjusted because when I press down on our parking brake it doesn't seem to hold like it used to.

Could it be that the rotor is worn so much that it could be the culprit?

Well, the rotor wearing will not effect the parking brakes. I would remove both the rotors and inspect. It is common for the parking brake shoes to come apart, rendering them useless. If everything looks ok then you can set and release the parking brakes and see if they move. Also check the parking brake surface in the rotor. it can get really rusty. too much rust and it is difficult to get the rotors off.

Well, the rotor wearing will not effect the parking brakes. I would remove both the rotors and inspect. It is common for the parking brake shoes to come apart, rendering them useless. If everything looks ok then you can set and release the parking brakes and see if they move. Also check the parking brake surface in the rotor. it can get really rusty. too much rust and it is difficult to get the rotors off.

Yeah I need to change my pads and rotors so it sounds like I might need to load up on a heavy duty rubber mallet.

Yeah I need to change my pads and rotors so it sounds like I might need to load up on a heavy duty rubber mallet.

you can use that method, but there is a quarter sized knockout after which you can get to the star adjuster. i'd back them down and then use a hammer. Might be easier in the long run. I tried the BFH took a bunch of wacks when it did come off it took the shoe with it. .

Back