Parking Brake Question

FourXFred

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 EB
Ive got a 99, so it has rear disk brakes, and the tiny little drum brakes inside of them for the parking brakes. I had to replace my shoes on the drum brake, as the parking brake didnt work at all. Now, the parking brake works great in reverse, but doesnt hold the truck at all in forward. like, it will stall the engine if i try to back up with the brake on (its a standard tranny), but i can push the truck by hand forwards with the parking brake on. Any ideas why?

Have you adjusted it? I had the same problem. Take a few minutes to tighten both sides up and you should be fine.

problem is,both adjusters are seized up. ford wants $100 per side for the kit (comes with the adjuster) and, well, i dont feel like paying that. no aftermarket parts store i have gone into has the adjusters, or the spring kit with the adjusters.

oh well, thanks for the info.

take the adjuster off and soak them in penetrating oil and such. Then, after a while, put one side in a vise and "gently" turn the bolt end.... try also a little heat from a torch or heat gun to help "persuade" it. I have "recovered" the adjusters this way on my Ex and other vehicles. Once you get them moving, totally unscrew the bolt and coat in with antiseize "stuff" and they will be as good as "new"... at least in my experience.

Back