• Register Today It's free!

Part Nos. for 01M01 and 00M12

jdamach1

Reaction score
City, State
Tyler, TX.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Eddie Bauer AWD
I have a 1997 EB AWD Explorer with the 4.0L SOHC engine. I bought it used a couple of years ago and it now has 98K miles on it. It has the timing chain rattle that has been talked about extensively here on this site. I just now found out about 01M01 and 00M12 and took the Explorer into the local dealership this morning. They told me that I am one month out on the extended warranty (of course) and will not cover any amount of it. The dealership quoted me $292.85 for the 00M12 fix and $877.91 for the 01M01 fix. After researching this on the site and seeing that others have done these fixes themselves, I am going to tackle this myself.

Now I have several questions. Is there a Ford part number for 01M01 and 00M12? I called my Ford parts guy and he did not list a kit for 00M12. The individual parts for the 01M01 came to about $400.00. Is 00M12 included in the 01M01 kit? Do I need to do the 00M12 first and see if the problem is fixed? I had him quote me the right tensioner at $25.26, the left tensioner at $60.78 and the intake set at $46.44. Do both of the tensioners need to be replaced? Also, does anyone have a procedure in doing the 01M01 fix? I found the excellent write-up by mikeh outlining the 00M12 fix and thanks mikeh for that too.

Thanks in advance for any help that you might be able to give me. Also, thank you all for a fabulous website that I have learned much from.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The part number for the 00M12 is YL2Z-9E473-AA OR KIT #528111, and this includes chain tensioner and lower intake o-rings. You only need to replace the drivers tensioner not the passengers. I did the the 01M01 with the engine in the X, but it was not easy and took me about ten hours to complete from start to finish. You will need the cam timing tool to time the left and right cams, which is the easiest part of the whole job. I cannot remember what the cost of all the parts where, but it was like $150 for everything.

Thank you RickOTR for your reply. I gave my parts guy the number you provided for the 00M12 kit and he was able to pull that up and my cost is $46.44. He did not seem to think that the tensioner was included, but I know that it has to be from what you have told me. I think that I am going to try the 00M12 first and see if that alleviates the problem. If it does not fix the rattle and I have to do the 01M01, where did you get the cam-timing tool and what was its cost? Are there any other specialty tools that would be required? I am amazed that you were able to perform the 01M01 without pulling the engine. From what I have read here, you have to pull the engine. Do you have any specific advice to lend on accomplishing the 01M01 while the engine is in the X?

You also say that the cost for the 01M01 was about $150.00. My parts guy quoted me my cost around $400.00. Could you provide me with the dealership and possibly a contact that you got your parts from so I might be able to call to order the parts from them?

Thanks in advance for any and all help and your time.

The tensioner in the long round metal part that screws into the left cylinder head by the intake manifold, and is included in the 00M12 kit. It is possible to do the 01M01 with the engine in the truck but like I said it's not easy, and does not require removing the oil pan. They say you cannot remove the oil pan with it in the truck on the 4.0L but that is not true. The SOHC pan is more difficult because you have the reinforcement bolts that need to be correctly placed and torqued. 4x4 is almost impossible due to the front axle being in the way unless you remove it. Get a repair manual for the X and just follow the steps. Just take off the jackshaft timing sprocket and put it aside and tie the chain itself with a piece of wire so it does not fall into the engine. Then remove the two bolts holding the cassette on. The kit is way over priced and all you need is the cam chain cassette which was around $80 plus the cost of the gaskets. The tool you will have to look around for at differnet rentals places, but if you want to buy one it's about $120. I looked around until I found one in LA, but I really had to look. If you decide to do this take your time and you will see that it is not a difficult as it looks.

Thanks RickOTR for your information, you have been a big help.

jdamach1 said:
Does anyone have a procedure in doing the 01M01 fix?

I found the excellent write-up by mikeh outlining the 00M12 fix and thanks mikeh for that too.

Does anyone have the link to MikeH's write up fot the 00M12 fix ??

How about a write up on the Jackshaft Chain Tensioner replacement ??

WHat about the FRONT Jackshaft Tensioner and Guide ??

My 98 4.0SOHC has this "Diesel-like rattle" also.

What is the MOST likely culprit ?? The Tensioner OR the guide going bad ??

How much "should" I expect to pay a Ford Dealership to replace these (2) parts ??

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

For anyone doing this, read a good set of instructions first. The main thing to do, and remember, is to place the engine at top dead center when you start. Keep the engine at top dead center at all times, until you actually loosen the cams. This includes the jackshaft.

Loosening the jackshaft bolt(18star socket) does let the valvetrain loose. Both cams will spin to a settling point, out of time. You need the engine to be at TDC when you do that. The cam timing tool kit is about $170, and includes a TDC tool. Good luck,

I hope you have read all the responses to the threads which you have posted in. The jackshaft tensioner is not a big problem. I don't think my 77,000 mile SOHC needed that. I believe I left it in. There are just a couple of bolts holding that jackshaft tensioner in. It doesn't apply a lot of pressure like the camshaft tensioners.

The cam cassettes are the largest potential problem. The steel/plastic sleeve/bracket which the cam chains ride in are liable to wear out fast, or come apart. The later 2002 part number evidently is made using a better plastic. Good luck,

CDW6212R said:
I hope you have read all the responses to the threads which you have posted in. The jackshaft tensioner is not a big problem. I don't think my 77,000 mile SOHC needed that. I believe I left it in. There are just a couple of bolts holding that jackshaft tensioner in. It doesn't apply a lot of pressure like the camshaft tensioners.

The cam cassettes are the largest potential problem. The steel/plastic sleeve/bracket which the cam chains ride in are liable to wear out fast, or come apart. The later 2002 part number evidently is made using a better plastic. Good luck,
Don, Of course of be reading all the replies. :confused: There is ALOT less detailed info on the 01M01 Recall than you would believe. :rolleyes: Believe me. I've searched this site and Google for countless hours. Do a Google Search yourself and you'll soon see. :confused:

So anyways..... :p , most likely then the Cam Chain Guide (inside the cassette) are wearing out at a faster rate than the Jackshaft Chain guide. Correct ??

Yes, I don't think I replaced my jackshaft chain guide. I replaced anything that was suspect, or did not cost too much, and was available. The jackshaft sprockets were very expensive, and not normally stocked parts.

After I thought I was finished, my balance shaft tensioner broke. It is extremely fragile, and I didn't think it was hurt. When I had a piece of it come out in the oil change, I then went back in and discovered that the balance shaft was also out of time. It has timing marks like a timing chain. I bought a new balance shaft tensioner, and learned how to set its timing. Done finally, good luck with yours, night.

CDW6212R said:
After I thought I was finished, my balance shaft tensioner broke.

I had one of the Service Mgrs (I spoke about in another thread) tell me that they would need to replace my EX's balance shaft chain tensioner/guides as well. I give him a "Yea OK....kinda of look" and soon left.

The idiot was trying to pull the wool over my eyes and give him a BLANK CHECK attitude. :rolleyes:

Good thing I realized that a Balance shaft is ONLY USED ON 4x4 equipped EXs and MINE is a 4x2 and does NOT have a balance shaft in it !!! :mad: :fire: :thumbdwn: :mad: :thumbdwn: :fire: :rolleyes:

BTW, the BALANCE SHAFT is Part # 11 in the Diagrams shown above. :rolleyes:

Katmandu

I am having a similar sound with my cam chain (deisel like rattle), but I have an '02. Is this common in all the explorers? I was curious what computer program you used to display those pictures of the engine too. Any help would be great, thanks.

Check with Ford about any TSB's for your model. The 2002 parts are what changed to replace the older parts, but the tensioners are still an unknown piece. It isn't clear how long they will last. Obviously they will last past your warantee period, but you need them to last much longer.

If there is a Ford service needed for your 2002 SOHC, try that first. If not, try to find a trustworthy mechanic to listen to your engine. If they are honest, they can better suggest what to do next. We can't see/hear your truck, so our guesses aren't as good as first hand observation.

That being said, beyond factory TSB work, I would suspect both chain tensioners. They are a simple design, with an internal spring to supplement the oil pressure to keep tension on the chains. If that spring weakens, then the oil pressure isn't going to keep enough pressure on the chain, and it will be somewhat loose. Both of those tensioners attach at the outer corners of each head. They are easy to change, once you can get to them. They are shown in the pictures in this thread. Good luck,

CDW6212R said:
I would suspect both chain tensioners. They are a simple design, with an internal spring to supplement the oil pressure to keep tension on the chains. If that spring weakens, then the oil pressure isn't going to keep enough pressure on the chain, and it will be somewhat loose. Both of those tensioners attach at the outer corners of each head. They are easy to change, once you can get to them. They are shown in the pictures in this thread. Good luck,
Someone mentioned that these Tensioners should be condsidered normal WEAR items and "should" be replaced at regular mileage intervals. Who knows ?? Say....50k - 75k miles ????

The pics for the diagrams above where Emailed to me. I believe they can be viewed on a Factory Service Manual CD.

Identify if 98 Explorer work done covered by warranty under 01M01

The below was comment on bill($5,556.65) and I was told wrong timing chain broke(right side) but if left side broke it would have been covered. Can anybody confirm this? FORD SHOP:WAS UNABLE TO START VEHICLE. VEHICLE SOUNDS AS IF THE TIMING IS OFF. REMOVED HOOD, UPPER INTAKE MANAFOLD,FAN,SHROUD, REMOVED R134A AND COMPRESSOR,P/S PUMP AND ALL BRACKETS, WATER PUMP DROPPED FRONT AXLE ASSY, REMOVED LOWER OIL PAN, REMOVED UPPER OIL PAN, REMOVED TIMING CHAIN COVER AND LEFT AND RIGHT VALVE COVERS. INSPECTED ALL TIMING CHAINS AND TENSIONERS. FOUND LEFT CHAIN AND TENSIONER OK. FOUND BALANC E SHAFT TENSIONER BROKEN, FOUND RIGHT TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER AND CHAIN BROKEN. REMOVED ENGINE FROM VEHICLE. PERFORMED AIR TEST TO RIGHT HEAD AND FOUND AIR LEAFING OUT THE INTAKE AND EXHAUST VALVES. REPLACED ENGINE.
REPLACED NEG. BATTERY TERMINAL. REPLACED SPARK PLUG WIRES. RE-CHWV0
A/C SYSTEM. TEST DROVE VEHICLE OPERATION IS NOW NORMAL r"-k

The below was comment on bill($5,556.65) and I was told wrong timing chain broke(right side) but if left side broke it would have been covered. Can anybody confirm this? FORD SHOP:WAS UNABLE TO START VEHICLE. VEHICLE SOUNDS AS IF THE TIMING IS OFF. REMOVED HOOD, UPPER INTAKE MANAFOLD,FAN,SHROUD, REMOVED R134A AND COMPRESSOR,P/S PUMP AND ALL BRACKETS, WATER PUMP DROPPED FRONT AXLE ASSY, REMOVED LOWER OIL PAN, REMOVED UPPER OIL PAN, REMOVED TIMING CHAIN COVER AND LEFT AND RIGHT VALVE COVERS. INSPECTED ALL TIMING CHAINS AND TENSIONERS. FOUND LEFT CHAIN AND TENSIONER OK. FOUND BALANC E SHAFT TENSIONER BROKEN, FOUND RIGHT TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER AND CHAIN BROKEN. REMOVED ENGINE FROM VEHICLE. PERFORMED AIR TEST TO RIGHT HEAD AND FOUND AIR LEAFING OUT THE INTAKE AND EXHAUST VALVES. REPLACED ENGINE.
REPLACED NEG. BATTERY TERMINAL. REPLACED SPARK PLUG WIRES. RE-CHWV0
A/C SYSTEM. TEST DROVE VEHICLE OPERATION IS NOW NORMAL r"-k

If ANY timing chain broke on a 4.0, you're money ahead just changing the engine.

Unless you got special compensation, the period they say was officially covered was 75k miles or five years. I think it was negotiated by each customer, but that was about 15 years ago.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back