Part rant about firestone part question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Part rant about firestone part question

ExcelDominus

Reaction score
City, State
Clinton, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Eddie Bauer
So, long story short:

Bought 01 sport roughly 4 months ago. Went to Firestone after purchase for an oil change and a "Complete Vehicle Inspection." Inspection came up good except for ball joints needing replaced.:) I had them changed elsewhere since I couldnt quite do it myself. Felt fantastic that was only problem.:D Last week went back for a high mileage oil change and because I heard a squeeking from the passenger rear so I figured the breaks needed checked since the sound went away when the brake pedal was pressed. The gentleman at the counter said it was 19.99 for a brake check or it was 19.99 for a complete vehicle check. I went with the complete since it included everything the brake check did. The results came back kinda funny.:( They suggested that I have ball joints replaced as mentioned in the previous check.... ok moving on, they suggested new brake pads for the rear since they were bad and new rotors since the rear ones were not "spec." A brake sytem flush was needed and that I would need a tire rotation and alignment to get it all worked out... Total for all $1095:mad: Now I'm pretty sure im getting hosed here. So I asked why I wasnt told about the rotors when I had the ex checked the first time. They made no comment since they didnt have the measurement sheet from the tech that did the inspection. I looked for my copy but ive lost it. I asked why they didnt bring it up when they did my state inspection and i got the same answer. So i asked if i could look at the measurements they had wrote down for everything else and something caught my eye, they didnt write down the proper tire size thats on my ex... they had wrote down 235/75/r17 when I have 255/75/r16s... thats my rant, well more rant than question.

Question:
Since i obviously dont want to waste any more of my money there and I am wanting to learn to work on my car myself, how can I tell if my rotors need replacing? Also, are the rear pads similar to the front ones being that they are pads and not drum style brakes?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rotors cost about 25 bucks a piece for the cheap ones. But if you look at them and they are scratched or gouged they should be replaced. They could be scratched by now if you've been hearing squeeling when you brake. Also do you notice any warp pulsing when you apply the brakes?

I went to get an estimate for front brake pads and the shop wanted 125.00 to do it. Instead I went and bought new rotors, pads and calipers for 300.00 for all four wheels and did it myself.

The backs are combination disc and drum. The rear brakes are disc but the emergency brakes are inside a drum. And these can be hell to fight with.

Are there any good brands that you all can suggest?

I just bought mine from my local NAPA.

I just replaced my front Rotors with a set of Wagners Pt # BD125721. 2001 Explorer Sport 4x4. 22 bucks each with free shipping from amazon. Im Very pleased with these rotors and their workmanship!

Back