Parts falling off my 2002 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Parts falling off my 2002 Explorer

LuckyBiggs

Reaction score
City, State
Asheville, N.C.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 EB
It's nice to see a site dedicated to the Explorer! I did read alot at Ford-Diesel.com, these sites are great.

Ford just bought back my 2000 F250 Crew Cab Diesel because of a problem they couldn't fix. I then bought my 2002 Explorer.

I had the dealer turn the tires blackwall out. When I drove it home I noticed a little vibration at 30 and again at 50mph. I took it back a few days later and they rebalanced the tires. This seemed to fix it but a couple weeks later it came back. I was going to take it to a tire shop to have it checked again....until today.

I was running about 68 mph down the highway when the counterweight on the transfer case fell off!!!! It damaged the floor pan, rear end housing and the rear bumper cover. Thank goodness the car behind me was way far back. This thing is about a 10lb+ hunk of steel.

Has anyone had or heard of this problem? I didn't find anything when I ran a search on this site.

It would be a good idea to check the four nuts that hold this thing on. Mine looked like it only had 1 holding it on anyway!

Lucky

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh man what is happening at the dealerships ford ford ford, falling apart.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Ford's....

Wow, even after all the focus on quality control.

All I can say is take it back to Ford, they should fix all of your problems.

Good luck.

I think I'd be standing on the desk of the dealer general manager demanding IMMEDIATE action. I think I would also be writing Ford Corporate a nastygram. Considering the fact they already bought back one vehicle from you, I would think they would have gone over the new one with a fine tooth comb (unless you got it from a different dealer). They ought to repair it immediately and give you an equivalent loaner vehicle while yours is being fixed.

P.S. welcome to the site. You'll find a lot of good info here.

I have never heard of that before and I would definately take it back to the dealer and demand a FREE one:D You know what I probably would;) Anyway, it sounds like carelessness on someones part and I hope it doesn't tarnish your thoughts on the Explorer. I would also write a nasty gram as well. Good Luck.

I know this is bad...and certainly unacceptable, but don't let it deter you from this vehicle.

My own experience, 1991 Explorer Sport the first in our town, was a nightmare. The intake gasket blew in the first three months I had it, recalled 7 (yes 7 times) and finally third gear decided to take a hike. I knew very well, that car would never see 50k.

Fast forward 11 years, I bought the car back from my parents (yes this was my first car) and I now have 100,500 miles. The car is mechanically excellent as well as the interior for an 11 year old car. We frequently take this car 400 miles to Pa (which JDraper can attest :D ) and have had no problems other than what can be expected at 100k.

Don't be too quick to return the 2002, it has the potential to be one of Ford's best!

Back