Parts in Australia - Buying from US | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Parts in Australia - Buying from US

mattwill

Reaction score
City, State
Townsville
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Hi all
I drive a 97 explorer XLT and need to get hold of some parts. Prices on the parts a ridiculous (400 bucks for ball joints). So im thinking of buying a few things and getting them all shipped to australia together to save freight.

Can anyone recommend a reliable retailer who would have a range of parts and who woulld ship them all together to me in Australia.

Also, can anyone recommend the shipping methods etc to save me some money in that regard?

Parts Im going to need (off the top of my head).

front upper/lower ball joints and control arm
shocks (maybe) depending on freight etc.
some rear leaf spring parts eg. shackles bushes
radiator hoses etc
thermostat, radiator cap
radiator expansion bottle

thanks for any advice!

Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have you t ried rockauto.com?

You likely will have to weigh the cost of parts & shipping against the current value of an Expl. that old, needing those repairs. It is possible those vehicles are worth a lot more "down under" than here. Typical price for a mid- to late '90s Explorer here range from about $2000 to $4000 (USD) in good running order. imp

Try also "O'reilly's Auto Parts", Auto-Zone, NAPA, and E-bay, though I am not privy to E-bay logistics, I have bought many difficult to find parts there.

RockAuto is a solid site for sure, but I am unsure on the shipping cost, I have never had to deal with shipping anything to AUS so I am uncertain on what things you can actually ship, or if you need to spend more for car parts, and so on. I do know however, thanks to MCM, that importing a whole car is quite the ordeal.

I am pretty sure most US stores don't deal with international shipping, It's crazy to think that though, but parts for our Explorer double, if not triple, even if you cross over into Canada, which for some people is short 30minute trip to cross the border.

USPS is the best shipping method.

Amazon.com will ship internationally some items. You just need a major credit card (MasterCard, VISA) to pay.

PS: For US people: I have friends in Australia and everything considered 'luxury' is 2 times the price. I guess SUV's are luxury too. But they have state-run medical care. We will get there too, don't worry.
Used Ford Explorer AU prices

Parts for explorers are way more expensive than most auto parts here from what Ive seen. Its just because there is very few aftermarket parts which means you are forced to buy parts from ford dealers and that is hideously expensive

Matt

find someone in the US who can buy the parts for you and consolidate it all into one shipment so you only have to deal with clearing and paying for customs once

find someone in the US who can buy the parts for you and consolidate it all into one shipment so you only have to deal with clearing and paying for customs once

Best suggestion! But, how does a guy down under pre-judge that he can trust a stranger here, or the other way around, if the stranger lays out the dough for the parts, how does he know the Aussie will send $$?

Will you do it for him? Should I? No easy answers. Granted, it may be hundreds of dollars, less than $1000, but nobody has money to throw away (except the government). imp

Hi all
I drive a 97 explorer XLT and need to get hold of some parts. Prices on the parts a ridiculous (400 bucks for ball joints). So im thinking of buying a few things and getting them all shipped to australia together to save freight.

Can anyone recommend a reliable retailer who would have a range of parts and who woulld ship them all together to me in Australia.

Also, can anyone recommend the shipping methods etc to save me some money in that regard?

Parts Im going to need (off the top of my head).

front upper/lower ball joints and control arm
shocks (maybe) depending on freight etc.
some rear leaf spring parts eg. shackles bushes
radiator hoses etc
thermostat, radiator cap
radiator expansion bottle

thanks for any advice!

Matt

i have used ################## . com they arranged freight etc for rear air shocks for 2001 xlt plus other parts they have a live online chat if you need to talk the prices were good including the freight the shocks were only avail x ford aust at exhorbant price.

this reply wont take the web site address so you will have to search the name is auto parts warehouse

Mattwill message me, I have a possible solution, if Bandits solution doesn't work

Auto Parts Warehouse currently has a discount code to save 15% off your purchase. Good through Oct 6th.

Get quality parts for your Explorer
Save 15% on your next purchase*

Enter CHECK15 to apply coupon

I doubt they have international shipping (to Australia).

Why would you say that when bandit already said he has had a delivery from there to Australia?

Cut and pasted from the website:
Shopping outside the US? INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING is now available! Call 404-592-4536

I've had a pretty good run using ebay to buy parts for my Exp, BMW and Mondeo from the US and UK.

i have now had at least 3 shipments from them they arrange and prices are good, still save heaps over buying in aus with the freight taken into acc

That's good to know.
However, from my IP, I cannot find that blurb about shipping internationally...

Try Rockauto I am in aussie and get all my parts from them at reasonable prices with shipping.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back