Parts Yard Prop Rod - What do you use? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Parts Yard Prop Rod - What do you use?

Jstcruz

Reaction score
City, State
Deltona, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ex XLT & 84 Ranger
I have had 3 Explorers now and none of the hood struts work. I really dont want to spend the money on new struts, so I asked a friend of mine for a prop rod from an S-10 he parted out. With a single bend, a drilled hole and a bolt I had a perfectly functional prop rod under my hood :D

This part can be had for $5 or $10 from the junk yard from any S-10 or Blazer from 82 to 92. I'm sure others would work but this was just easy! I am going to drill a hole to the right of the hole where the prop is so that it will be more straight up and open the hood to max height. Also adding a clip to hold it down when I shut the hood.

prop3.jpg

prop.jpg

prop2.jpg

prop1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good stuff. I've just been wedging one in from an old Explorer since I've been too lazy to pick up new struts.

Good stuff. I've just been wedging one in from an old Explorer since I've been too lazy to pick up new struts.

I had a piece of thin pipe I used but I can never find it lol

hahaa awesome it really looks like it fits there! myself am using a piece of flat bar that sits in between my radiator and core support... it seems non of us want to replace the struts lol

Why not? I love the struts! Sucks trying to work around a effing pole.
They aren't that expensive, the hatch struts are a different story...

Just haven't gotten around to going and buying some. One of those things that are low enough on the priority list not to warrant a trip to the parts store.

That's understandable, took me awhile to replace them last time. Finally went when I knocked the pole I had been using and the hood fell on my head (hurt like a ****)

If I want the rod - or pipe - out of the way I just clamp some vice grips on one of the struts lol. Its not gonna hurt them, they dont work anyway

Great idea, but not from a Chebby. Wouldn't a stick work better? JK :D

^ I love it ha! Ive thought about doing this myself. I pulled a set that worked in the bone yard decided not to work for me.... must be the bug deflector weighing my down. If i do decide to throw in a rod ill do 2, so i can choose sides. Also the struts are about 20 a peice!

Great idea, but not from a Chebby. Wouldn't a stick work better? JK :D

Built Ford tough with Chevy stuff lol

It is only a rod, not a starter motor or something like that. I dont feel like I have violated my truck that much lol

^ I love it ha! Ive thought about doing this myself. I pulled a set that worked in the bone yard decided not to work for me.... must be the bug deflector weighing my down. If i do decide to throw in a rod ill do 2, so i can choose sides. Also the struts are about 20 a peice!

One on each side is a cool idea. Another reason I dont want to rely on the shocks is because of the weight of the cowl and body work on my hood. I like a simple prop as oposed to trusting the expensive, guaranteed to fail factory replacment parts

I hate those dumb helper bars. With that being said, all my 2nd gens have had functioning hood struts.

I hate those dumb helper bars. With that being said, all my 2nd gens have had functioning hood struts.

I hate the rods as well but im on my 3rd 2nd gen and none of mine worked..... Or i thought they did and the truck tried to eat me.....:(

I use a GIANT snap-on pry bar. This would make a fun thread somwhere seeing what all of you used I had to chime in!

I use a GIANT snap-on pry bar. This would make a fun thread somwhere seeing what all of you used I had to chime in!

i mainly use half the handle to my one pump jack or my cornwell pry bar, if hoods open not at home, i use my head or girlfriends arm

The hood struts would be awesome - if they worked. I like the prop rod far better than some of the other items mentioned here, especially more than using my head!

It would be fun to hear some more of what people have used for props though :popcorn:

It would be fun to hear some more of what people have used for props though :popcorn:

A pair of heavy duty hood shocks from a forklift. 5 years and still holding strong.

I wedge my tool bag in at the pick and pull

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use a red aluminum handle that has a twist lock extension. It was my wife's garden tool till I needed a hood prop lol

Back