Passenger Front CV Axle Shaft

hillre55

Reaction score
City, State
Medon, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
Happy Holidays To All
I've a 2003 Ford Ex with 148K miles 4.0 engine. I was attempting to remove cv axle shaft so that I could install new axle seal. Have a bad leak at passenger front. I can't seem to get the cv axle to disconnect from the shaft it's connected to inside the differential......................seems the shaft it's connected to is trying to come out as well. Have any of you had this issue? If so, how did you resolve it? This CV axle doesn't appear to have the C-Clip like the cv shaft on the drivers side front. Hopefully this isn't a sign of damaged differential. Thanks, I would really appreciate your help with how to remove this cv axle shaft.
20171209_154917 (1).jpg

Happy Holidays To All
I've a 2003 Ford Ex with 148K miles 4.0 engine. I was attempting to remove cv axle shaft so that I could install new axle seal. Have a bad leak at passenger front. I can't seem to get the cv axle to disconnect from the shaft it's connected to inside the differential......................seems the shaft it's connected to is trying to come out as well. Have any of you had this issue? If so, how did you resolve it? This CV axle doesn't appear to have the C-Clip like the cv shaft on the drivers side front. Hopefully this isn't a sign of damaged differential. Thanks, I would really appreciate your help with how to remove this cv axle shaft. View attachment 152692
I did not have a problem getting mine out when I replaced both of them. I used a pry bar on the edge of the shaft and hit it with a hammer. After a little wiggling, it popped right out. There should be nothing holding that CV in from what I recall because the shaft is a spline. This was relatively an easy job to accomplish. Installing the seals was another story. I ruined 2 new driver side seals when installing, even when using my seal tool. The impact from hammering it back inside the axel was splitting the rubber Thank goodness that the seals are very cheap because my patience was wearing thin. Good luck, Bizzs

I know it's been a while since you posted this, but I just ran into the same problem when trying to do my seals. Did you ever figure out how to get it off of there?

Back