• Register Today It's free!

Passenger Side Front Door Lock

2000black&gold

Reaction score
City, State
Carrollton, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Eddie Bauer
Just wondering if anyone could tell me what they think is going on. I have a 2000 Eddie Bauer. A few weeks ago, I noticed that the front, passenger side door is not locking. It will unlock, but not lock. My guess is that the motor for the door lock needs to be replaced. I'm just wondering if that's correct since it will unlock but not lock - that part throws me off. Anybody have any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take a look at this post: Click

It might be of some help.

Al

heyok... thanks for your reply. i actually read that article a couple of days ago when i was looking for info. the only thing is, nobody was/is having the same problem as me. my car door will open, and hasn't had any problems not opening. it will unlock fine too. it just won't lock. that's where my problem is - why it will unlock but not lock. I have the viper 791x alarm... is it possible that it's the problem? anyone with any info, please help me out!

Yeah I am having the same problem it will not lock but if i push down on the black knob on the inside it will lock. It is very hard to do that tho and it will unlock but not lock unless i push down on it again and it hurts... I have seen the threads about the door not unlocking but mine wont lock. :(

Anyone know why my door will unlock but not lock?

Yeah Im only 15 but im pretty smart with cars (saying this so that you know im not an adult and think im a stupid adult lol cause im not great at spelling and grammer) here is my problem. I examined my door and found that there is a little leaver in there with a spring of some sort and a washer holds it to the door. The washer is black im sure its made of plasic and i think the piece that goes outside of that to hold the washer on and the spring/leaver in place snapped of... Because when I push the lock down with a screw driver bottom ( its the only thing that i can push it down with without using a hammer because its very hard to bush down) the spring/leaver moves freeley moving around and the other side has everything on it. If you could check and see if you have all the same things with ur door and message me back to see if thats the problem. If you do im gunna pull the door panel becasue I don't wanna mess wround with it unless u have the same problem. If you do and i find the problem ill give u info take pictures if needed :)

Thanks for looking into it man. That's cool that you're only 15... when do you get your license? I'm 20, so I guess I'm still considered "young" as well. I'm gonna check out the spring here in a little bit and I'll let you know if it's the same problem you're having. Thanks again for your reply!

No problem. Im getting my license in 4 Months. The car that i am going to get is eather the one that it says I have on this blog a 1998 4.0L V6 Eddie Bauer Fully loaded with 32" tires ( I already put my little touches on it like tires engine intake exhaust) but its my dads. If i don't get that then i am going to get a 1995 Mustang SVT Cobra 5.0L HO and stick a nice big super charger on it from vortec. Crank tho ponyies outa that 5.0... They hard to find tho... :rolleyes:

By the way if you dont know what spring im talking about ill be glad to take pictures of the piece that snapped off and and the washer spring location all that jazz. :)

Those are two awesome cars to choose from... you should just switch them out; use one one week, the other the next week. I think after I pay off my Explorer I'm gonna buy an 03 Cobra convertible. Anyway... I looked at the lock and it appears I'm having the same problem you are. I could be wrong, but that's what it looks like. If you do take yours apart, I'd love to hear about it and love to see any pictures you might take. Thanks again!

Alright im gunna start digging into it right now and take pictures step by step. Btw I know those r two awsome cars but I only can afford to highly mod one cause im only 15 lol. Ill get back to u with the pictures :thumbsup:

ALRIGHT well idk how to upload pictures so ill send u the instructions I typed out first incase these pictures don't work lol

There are two Phillips head screws next to the door handle. Take those off. There is a section of door trim around the handle. That is something you need to take off I have pictures to show how to do it fast.
There are eight plastic pushpins around the sides of the door but not the top edge ( by the rubber part for the wndow ). On mine I looked in my Dads screwdrier chest and found the skinniest pointed flathead and a cloth and slit it into the bottomright corner to get that pushpin out then I was able to grip the edge of the door panel and pull it away from the door. I started on the lower rear corner and pulled gently ( unless it was being a stuborn **** and i pulled it outa there like no tomorrow). After working it for a bit I could get my fingers in there and get a better grip. Pull away from the door until you have it worked it free except for the top edge (small little birsts or little tugs also help). This leaves the top edge which you free by lifting upwards on the door panel. I notice that it has to slide upwards over the door lock...lol The forward side the panel actually hooks into the metal of the door next to the mirror mount so I had to slide the panel off this mount too.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Then I dropped my camera thats brandnew and im gunna get totaly killed by my parentce :eek: :confused: :( so thats all the pictures I took just follow those instructions and take the pannel off ( i checked if everything worked right and everyhthing did so u can take the pannel completly off and drive unless u dont need to tomorrow ill get u the rest after I fell the wrath of my parentce :mad: for ruining the camera ill fix it then send u the rest so u can just wait a day or till tomorrow but it only took me 10 min to do. heh idk how to upload the images so eather i could send you the pictures via e-mail or you can give me some time to figure it out. ill be back lol :eek: :eek: :eek:

If you have AOL or AIM I can send you the whole folder threw cause there r 21 pictures... its gunna tke a while if I do it via e-mail or on here if you dont have AOl or AIM you should get it just for this really quick if u do im always on Mocochino4lif5

Well I have AIM, however, the place I'm interning at this summer blocks it for some reason. They're really paranoid about getting viruses, so they block almost everything. I'll PM you my email.

Back