Passenger Side Front Inner Bearing Won't Go On...Please Help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Passenger Side Front Inner Bearing Won't Go On...Please Help!

azrael_ak

Reaction score
City, State
Wasilla, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hello,
I am trying to get my bearings replaced on my 1991 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4wd.

The rotor assembly came off without much of a struggle. But after placing the new Races into the rotor....and then freshly packed bearings, then the gasket seal.... It would NOT go back into place onto the axle.

the bearing stopped about halfway to where it normally sits. The shaft is clean...no discolorations, no visible damages or burrs, no marks of any kind.

This is very frustrating as it is about 18 degrees out.

I am fairly sure the bearings that came out were originals from the factory.

I purchased MasterPro's from Schucks. PT A-37 is the part number for the bearing.

If anyone knows how to fix this issue could you please e=mail me or post a solution!!! Thanks so much!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Kinda sounds like you have the wrong bearing, though I believe that's the correct part number. That doesn't mean the wrong bearing didn't get packed in the box by some half-assed factory worker. Trying going to Autozone and getting some Timkens, which are what is recommended by most on here any way.

I got the wrong bearing from O'reilly's once, fortunately I noticed it beforehand as the bearing was simply too small. The box it was in had the same part number as the other three, that did fit... Bad luck I guess..

Re: Bearing issue

Ok...After talking to half a dozen people the majority suggested smoothing the shaft in case any grooves or burrs developed...

Today i packed the bearings and put it back on there and it went with a few good pushes.

Now I need to find the torque specs for the bearing nut and i believe the outer nut is 150 pds

"Now I need to find the torque specs for the bearing nut and i believe the outer nut is 150 pds"

Yes, the inner nut is 35#s and back off 1/4 turn, the outer nut is 150#s.

Thank you!

Thanks so very much for that info... For some reason my manual decided to take a hike somewhere.

i took a rust remover wheel and gently smoothed the axle because i found a small ridge where the outside of the bearing would've sat and then shot it good with some brakekleen and then packed the new bearings and lubed it up. It resisted in the same spot at first but i hit it equally and it slid into place.

I also noticed that my brake pad (the one that isn't held on by clips) appeared to be cracked in half. Is this common? There's less than 6K miles on them.

Now I have to do the drivers side.

I also ran into complications due to whoever manufactured the spanner socket to remove the axle nuts. I picked up the one the clerk told me was for my Explorer and when i got home it did not fit by at least 2mm. I took it back...this time with the nut. and I found the right one on the shelf. It had the same part number...was made by the same people as the other one. But it was flat black instead of the other one that was shiny. The flat black one fits like a glove.

I also had to replace the caliper slide in clips because they looked terrible and one was broken. I also noticed minor damage on the caliper piston like someone pried against it and cracked the edges. :mad:

I appreciate all of the help from everyone!

On the inner bearing after backing off a 1/4 turn you have to hand tighten it back.

Back