PATS bypass module/Remote starter questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PATS bypass module/Remote starter questions

HenryTS77

Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Limited 5.0
I am looking to install a remote starter in my 1999 Ford Explorer Limited and know I will need to install a bypass module to disable the PATS system to be able to operate the remote start. It seems the 2 main modules available are PKALL (which costs more but will work with many vehicals ) and the DEI 555P(W?) which seems Ford specific and much cheaper. I presume that both do not need a key left in the vehicle-just to program but outside the listed items is there anything that makes one better than the other like ease of installation. I know this has been discussed in previous threads in this sub-forum but much of that info is outdated so any new info would be greatly appreciated.

Also - I would like opinions on which Remote Starter system would be the easiest to install. I am not looking for anything fancy- just be able to start the car remotely from a decent distance with possibly an auto start option on those COLD nights to keep the battery up (a would be nice but not a necessity). I would also like it to integrate into the existing remote keyless entry system to retain the current features like parking lights flash/horn signal/interior lights coming on along with under rear-view mirror lights and runningboard lights coming on on doors unlocking as it would no doubt make wiring easier but I fear to retain all these features I would have to resort to carrying 2 key fobs - the current keyless entry fob and a 2nd 1 button fob for remote start. ANY AND ALL info on this would be greatly appreciated :)

Do you still need help with this? I just did an install on my 2000 sport.

Do you still need help with this? I just did an install on my 2000 sport.
Awkward to jump in like this but - I just found some service records for my just-bought 1998 Explorer - one of the previous owners did have a bypass module put in and had a remote start fob (didn't have it when the last owner sold me the vehicle) Could I just buy a used or new fob and program it myself? Forgive the newbie question. Can you tell me if this bypass module will save me from any of the PATS - related woes I've read about here with some nervousness? I'm assuming these bypass modules last a while...

Back