Remote Starter for 1999 Explorer question.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote Starter for 1999 Explorer question..

HenryTS77

Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Limited 5.0
I hope this is in the correct forum-sorry-I am new here. I know there have been a number threads on Remote Starters but for this year Explorer many have outdated links and models. Here is the background on this-I just purchased a 1999 Explorer Limited (Eddie Bauer??-it was listed as such but does not say it-just Limited). It is decked out with a lot of features from moon roof to message center to dual power seats to compass/thermometer to full power windows/locks/mirrors,and on and on-you get the idea. I have found the key code for the keyless entry, the method for programming key fobs for remote keyless entry. I have also learned of the pitfall of the security keys (the truck came with only 1 key-went to the locksmith and it cost $106 to make 2 more keys (better than the $90 the Ford Dealer wanted for 1 !).

Ok - I want to put an after-market remote starter but of course the security system throws a monkey wrench into it. Does anyone have any advice on which remote starter to get that would be fairly easy to put in that would integrate a safe bypass of the security system without trashing it and be "fairly inexpensive". The wiring diagrams/listings from Bull Dog are quite helpful but their quality seems iffy. The security modules PKALL or PKFM (?) seem to be of interest but again most links/info in previous threads is outdated. I am very skilled in electrical systems so cost is more ore of a concern but easy would be nice also. The reason I am so intent on installing a remote starter is that here in Upstate NY it gets very cold ( as low as -15 this past winter so having a warm car in the winter would be nice and the feature many offer of starting up the car during the night would prevent the dreaded "click click click" in the morning when you are late to work :D ). Any and all info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd recommend getting something that can either go with the factory keyless entry that adds remote start capabilities like the ones from Directed Electronics or just get a complete remote start/alarm combo that has shock sensors, glass breakage, etc. Honestly I'd go with the remote start with alarm combo cause the factory keyless entry isn't very good for security purposes.

Thanks for the reply Blee....

I'd recommend getting something that can either go with the factory keyless entry that adds remote start capabilities like the ones from Directed Electronics or just get a complete remote start/alarm combo that has shock sensors, glass breakage, etc. Honestly I'd go with the remote start with alarm combo cause the factory keyless entry isn't very good for security purposes.

What I am trying to do is get a remote starter system that will integrate as simply as possible with my remote entry system without trashing the transponder key security system. It seems the PKALL/PKFM bypass modules are the modules of choice but will they work with any system- it seems Amazon is trying to push the PKALL module with the Avital 4103LX Remote Start System which does sound promising and does seem to offer quite a few optional programming features. Any and all advice on the current systems would be appreciated.As far as the alarm system part goes - not really concerned about an alarm as with all the false alarms these days car alarms are pretty much ignored - the transponder key system seems to be enough of a deterrent for most.

Back