pats flashing, relay clicking, everything locked out | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

pats flashing, relay clicking, everything locked out

danblackwood

Reaction score
City, State
South Charleston, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS 4x4
2002 XLS 4X4, 4.0. 150,000 miles on clock. Original keys (2). The car would not start, then the anti theft light began flashing rapidly with the key off and out of the ignition. When switched out of the lock position, it will light solid, switched to on everything is dead. I disconnected the battery for a while, reconnected, and it all worked like it should for about maybe 5 minutes, then went back to the flashing/clicking, etc. I tried disconnecting the battery again for like a half hour, but when I hooked it back up, it went right back into it's flashing/clicking. Now basically nothing electrical works on the car except for the anti theft light. I removed the relay that was clicking, located on top of the fuse block under the dash. When it first came out, the door alarms sounded (key in, door open alarm) but then it went back to flashing again, only no clicks, since the relay was out. Put the relay back in, click click click really fast when the key is out, burn steady with key in unlocked, off when key is on.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dan
So. Charleston, WV

PATS failure or trouble with the system.. May require a tow to Ford or finding a locksmith who can reprogram your PATS system to accept your current keys

as blee said PATSII issue. Did your battery ever go completely dead or is about to? That would do it.

Back