The theft light is flashing, and I hear a clicking noise. It won't start. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The theft light is flashing, and I hear a clicking noise. It won't start.

kmatt1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer, 4 door, 4x2. I was washing the car today and all of a suddedn i heard the clicking like the hazzards are on. except is the the theft light flashing, I tried to start the car, the key would not do anything. I took off the neg. battery cable for more than 1/2 hr. placed it back on and still nothing. right when i connect the battery the clicking and theft flashing begins again. any suggestions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Haha sounds like dead battery season -- err I mean summer! -- is here.

When your battery is toast the instrument cluster and anti-theft system will act really loopy, I know from experience. Your starter is what you hear clicking because it isn't getting enough juice to turn the engine over. Try a good full charge and if that doesn't help then get a new battery.

I've had this happen too. All i did was hit the unlock with the keyless FOB and then it started next try.

I dont know why it does it but Ford said it just happens sometimes

As fusseli said, probably the battery. Same thing happened to mine last summer, and the year before it was the alternator.

Back