• Register Today It's free!

PATS-KEY question

bizzs

Reaction score
City, State
Gibsonia Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
I lost my keys last year and had to have the dealership reprogram two new ones. My daughter missed placed one of the keys yesterday. We were looking for them and happen to come across the two other keys that were missing from last year. (lol)

My question is, Can I reprogram those old keys to work again with my Explorer, or are those keys a one time programming eprom? I have a solus pro and I think there is an option in the menu for erasing the PAT and reprogramming it?

The stealership in my area wants 100 per key, but I guess I will be sol if I cant reuse these old keys.

Any input is appreciated...

Bizzs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

try the keys

It takes two recognized keys to program another key. Maybe the dealer didn't delete the old key codes from memory. I suggest that you try the previously lost/newly found keys in the ignition to see if the PCM still recognizes them. If the THEFT indicator rapidly flashes then the PCM does not recognize the key.

That is my problem. I only have one key now. As I stated, I found the old keys that were for this vehicle and wanted to know if these keys can be reprogrammed, or are they only able to be programmed one time? Do these keys function like an eprom where you can erase the memory in them many times and reprogram? I am asking if they can be reused to avoid paying 100 for new cut keys. Any input?

Thanks
bizzs

keys codes

Each PATS key has a specific code that is transmitted to the PCM and stored. The PCM can store many (possibly ten) different key codes. Just try to start your engine with one of the old keys. If it doesn't start and the THEFT rapidly flashes then the dealer erased the old key code from the PCM when the PCM was programmed for the new keys. In that case you can go to a PATS qualified locksmith who will use a special machine to reprogram the PCM to store one of the old key codes. Then you can use that key and the new key to program the PCM to recognize the second old key. That way you'll have three recognized keys so the next time one is lost you can get a new key cut and then use your two unlost keys to program the PCM.

I always advise members to have three keys. I also advise them to offer $200 less when buying a used Explorer if the seller only has one key.

My understanding is if you have two functioning keys you can program additional key. Once you have two functioning keys you can program your newly found lost key. As 2000 mentioned you can go to a locksmith with PATS capabilities and have them reprogram your PATS system first.
On all of my 5 Fords/Lincolns the first thing after purchase I do is getting an extra key cut and program it and store them in my key cabinet. If my "daily key" gets worn or lost I use my spare key and still have the 3rd key in the key cabinet as a backup which can function as the second key to program a replacement key. $19.00 for a cut PATS key and self programming is cheap insurance and less hassle than a trip to stealership and pay $200.00. You can count on keys disappearing doing your ownership of a car whether your own fault or someone else. Chances it'll happen on a 3 day weekend or during the holidays and you're SOL. Moral of the story, if you have only one key, plan ahead and look for local locksmith with PATS capabilty and pay them to program second key and maybe even the 3rd key, it'll still be cheaper than going to stealership doing the same thing. Worst case scenario, you lose your only key and there is no PATS locksmith so you'll end up towing vehicle to stealership and pay them the $200.00 and it'll be on a 3 day holiday weekend and you will have to stay in holed up in hotel because you were going away for the 3 day weekend. Hell of an expensive weekend!

Back