PATS key questions

Opera House

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer 3.5L base
I recently bought a repo 2002 Explorer with only one key. I've had a second key programmed and have a third blank that I am trying to get cut. The key machine at LOWES doesn't have the fixture to hold the blank, or at least that is what they tell me. Anyway, I'm not sure I want confused people trying to cut a $15 blank and rendering it useless. I'll find someone with an older machine that holds the key in a simple vice.

My question is how many keys can the computer hold and how can old keys be disabled. I bought this as a repo and know exactly who owned it before. That person wouldn't have any harder time figuring out who bought it either and they have extra keys. It seems this would be a major security issue and a common problem with divorced and other people who shared keys. The two key reprogram system was obviously implemented to solve half this problem by preventing people from making a quick copy when they had a single key. Do you have to go to a dealer to erase old keys?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you program in keys, you have to have all the keys present to program them. Any keys that were in memory in the past will be erased if they haven't been cycled through the latest programming cycle.

Keyless fobs on the other hand are not erased when new ones are programmed in.

Or maybe I have that backwards, I can't remember. :confused:

1- Dont have Lowes or Home Depot cut your keys,,There machines are always out of adjustment, your better off going to a good Locksmith, and have the key programed and cut there. It may cost a little more but worth it.
2- I am a Locksmith, but dont work on automotive locks anymore. I do know that with 1 key you can have others cut and programed at a locksmith shop that has the programming device, They can also set up additional remotes if needed.
Not all locksmiths will have the programmers, they are expencive. So you will have to find one that does.
3- Try and get an original key or code cut key to put away somewhere to make spares from. If you lose or break your last key, The alteritive is alot more $$$$$$.
Good luck.

I bought this as a repo and know exactly who owned it before. That person wouldn't have any harder time figuring out who bought it either and they have extra keys. It seems this would be a major security issue and a common problem with divorced and other people who shared keys. The two key reprogram system was obviously implemented to solve half this problem by preventing people from making a quick copy when they had a single key. Do you have to go to a dealer to erase old keys?

I don't know about de-programing keys/fobs. I think I'd do as 04urban suggested and call around to find a knowledgable locksmith and ask him. BTW, does your Ex have the numbered keypad on the drivers door? If so that may be your biggest security risk. The previous owner probably knows the factory unlock code.

From what I have read, there aren't that many factory codes for the keypads. I had my third key blank cut today at a local hardware store for $1.70 on an older machine and it programmed like a charm. I had the second key cut by the dealer and think they cut it from factory codes since the levels are more distinct than the key I gave them. I plan on getting a fourth key on ebay and I will see if it forgets key number three if I don't include it in the programming sequence.

You don't have to have all keys during a new programming cycle. Atleast, I have never had to on my 04. You just need 2 current keys. IT doesn't delete older ones. There is a limit you can program, I can't remember the number though. I have 5 on mine (one is a PATS box for the aftermarket security system).

Try it though, yours may be different.

I also think that not being able to change the number pad is insane. The only way to change it is to switch the circuit board out. Uggh... good one there, Ford!

Back