PATS / SecuriLock keys questions | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PATS / SecuriLock keys questions

I don't think that my '97's have PATS. The Explorer or The 97 Mountaineer. I had a $3- key cut at W-Mart for the '97 Mountaineer and it starts every time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sounds right. I think it was added in '98 for all Explorers and V6 Rangers, then '99 it was on all engine options in the Ranger.

Yeah, no PATS until 98.

Why? It's an incredibly trivial thing to deal with. Keys are about $10 each, plus $5 or less to get them cut. All you have to do is plug in a laptop with Forscan, and that's only if you start without two working keys.

well then I will not buy one newer than a '97
LOL. The 00-01 especially have things that much outweigh any PATS concerns. PATS is extremely reliable, and if you limit your searches to 96-97, good luck. It’s hard enough to find them clean, and low enough mileage without refusing 4 years of a model over something silly.

LOL. The 00-01 especially have things that much outweigh any PATS concerns. PATS is extremely reliable, and if you limit your searches to 96-97, good luck. It’s hard enough to find them clean, and low enough mileage without refusing 4 years of a model over something silly.

Ditto. The 98-01 Explorers are just about the most reliable Ford made in the last 45 years. That is, the 302 models, the SOHC V6 is about the least reliable Ford has made.

Why? It's an incredibly trivial thing to deal with. Keys are about $10 each, plus $5 or less to get them cut. All you have to do is plug in a laptop with Forscan, and that's only if you start without two working keys.

I just went through this
The cheep keys from e bay are ten bucks the ford key at the dealership 60 plus 1.5 hours labor
The original ford key was cracking so I bypassed it made 3 regular keys cut for 5 bucks
At the dealership told them I wanted a door key
Who is gonna try to steal a 20 year old truck
Still need a key to turn the ignition

Why bypass it? The 'cheap keys' from eBay are legitimate OEM Strattec keys. Doing it properly is dirt cheap and quick.

Tbh I'm not gonna drive 30miles away to make an appointment then pay 150 or so to program a key
Bypassing it is 100 percent reversible no wires cut nota nam nutta
If then at a later time I change my mind and want to f with it I can

So if the key is 10 bucks and a week wait and
Forscan is free
A piece of copper wire for 15cents
Priceless

Make an appointment for what? All you need to do is get the new key cut to match your current one, and use a laptop with free software.

Don't get me wrong - I applaud ingenuity, and your 'fix' is definitely appealing as a way to get home if you broke down on the side of the road. It doesn't seem like a real fix to me at all, though.

Science man
Buy a bypass module look inside
Same thing a coil in a box a coil around transceiver a wire to connect
Simple man car remote starter installers been installing them this way for years
Whether it's a bought bypass module or its just a copper wire
Still the same circuit
Basic electronics

You can throw your wallet at everything but I won't

Here the dealers need to make an appointment
For a oil change there is no such thing as a walk in

Again - you don't need to go to the dealer. This is a 100% at home procedure other than having a locksmith cut the key to match. I paid $2.50 for that part.

I tried to get tons of places to cut it they all won't cut a chip key unless you buy it from them
Call me cheap I won't Pay 60$ for a key
I showed 2 methods
well
one bought and one with a piece of wire
Both the same circuit
I make my own amps and dabble in electronic fun believe me
That's like telling a contractor a nail is a temp fix use a screw

" if you're broke down on the side of the road " haha

I'm done with this thread no need to argue

For this entire conversation you chose not to say that you couldn't find a locksmith to cut the key? That would have saved tons of back and forth. Holy smokes.

The original poster said
does the car really know or care if the PATS key is actually in the ignition or is it happy just to have it somewhere within communications distance?
I answered his question
Then gave him examples of how and why

I'm not being a d..ck ..my wife says I am all the time ....

Sorry if I came off bad

Gotcha. I thought you were fielding the recent question, not the one from 2005.

Gotcha. I thought you were fielding the recent question, not the one from 2005.
Hahaha your correct
my blind Ass didn't even look at the dates

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found a local locksmith company called KeyMe that will cut one for $100. They also gave me a $25 coupon, so the net is $75. I have to take my key to their Kiosk at Bed Bath and Beyond and pay up front and they will mail me a new key. I don't have Forscan on my computer. Is that a free app or something and how does it work?

Back