Pattern for door handles? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pattern for door handles?

Nice work! :chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PStanberry78, I literally have never seen an all manual Exolorer. Ever. Especially not one with leather seats. That navy blue interior is something I've only seen once. Just had to say that. Automotive rarities make me happy!

Not sure how I missed this earlier, Wolfie. Thanks! I've come to really love it. It's simple, easy to work on, and has character. It's definitely unique among Explorers from what I've seen.

---------------------------
Paul

Looks great

I made one of mine in the back too out of wood. But I covered mine with a piece of foam and stapled some vinyl around it..

Attachments

• DSCN2550-1.jpeg
    DSCN2550-1.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 139

My original 1st gen explorer started as an XL, and the door pulls were made of wood. I traded the door assemblies to an old member on here about 4 years ago for full power doors. This was easier for me, since 99% of the explorers had power accessories.

I scrapped this truck a month ago after buying my 4wd sport.

How on the front parts of the handles that on the OEM ones that have a push clip did you attach them [MENTION=255178]PStansberry78[/MENTION]? On mine I just screwed into the handle from the inside of the door panel through the whole where the clips go.

How on the front parts of the handles that on the OEM ones that have a push clip did you attach them [MENTION=255178]PStansberry78[/MENTION]? On mine I just screwed into the handle from the inside of the door panel through the whole where the clips go.

I used a table saw to cut a couple of hidden channels on the underside of them and then drilled new holes and screwed on the flush parts around them.

Paul

Edit: I'll see if I can get a picture showing it and upload a bit later.

Here's the pic I promised. It shows the grooves we cut on the bottom side of the front pieces. The groove is specifically to allow the front pieces to rest flush on the door panel... otherwise the clip retention holes for the front caused an undesired gap underneath the wood.

V__6D90.jpg

Because that thinned the wood out, I couldn't screw into that part. That's why I had to drill new mounting holes in other places along the bottom.

-----------------------------------
Paul

Oh wait, that's the front handle. Okay, the grooves make more sense now. I did mine differently. I wanted to keep the padded portion of the arm rest so I removed just the handle part of it and then attached my new handle to the padded portion.

I thought about padding and covering the rear portion of these... But decided against it for time and cost reasons. Ultimately, the clearcoat makes it pretty comfortable.

I gotta say, this is pretty sweet. Thanks for sharing this info guys :)

That's some awesome work there, PStansberry! I agree, although mine is all power everything, they are incredibly easy to work on. I do have one window motor to replace, it lost its teeth from old age. :p

Back