• Register Today It's free!

Pax side dash melting

Avonedwins

Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer XLT
the passenger side dash above the airbag seems to be melting in my 08 XLT. It's only the area above the airbag. The rest of the dash is perfect. Fibers from cleaning cloth gets stuck in it and looks wet but is just sticky.

Anyone else have this? What have you done? Is this a manufacture defect ford may cover?

Thanks in advance.
-George

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I saw your subject line I thought you were crazy. After reading your post though, it reminds me of the last time I cleaned my dash and that exact area seemed 'sticky'. At the time I was in a hurry and didn't investigate - just assumed something had gotten on there but that's unlikely. I'll have to investigate further but I guess it's possible that it's getting too hot.

Ford will not take any responsibility for defects on a 2008, unless it's part of a recall.

Not on my 2006. I'd pull the airbag and see if it's scorched from overheating.

Nah, Its not "melting" as from heat - its just sticky as if its outgassing or something. Mine anyway.

Not discolored or deformed, just sticky

I see this is an old thread, but I don't see any others more current... I have an 07 XLT and I noticed this about 2 years ago. It's gotten so bad I started cleaning it today. Whatever the paint or dye is they use to dye these plastic/rubberish covers is turning into a super sticky mess. I got a lot of it cleaned off down to the base black rubber/plastic, but it's not easy to do and I have a lot more to do. I'm going to see what it would take to take the airbag out so I could do a more thorough job. I bought a color matched interior dye/spray I intend to put on when I get it ready, but the factory dye or paint is turning into a nasty goo.

I see this is an old thread, but I don't see any others more current... I have an 07 XLT and I noticed this about 2 years ago. It's gotten so bad I started cleaning it today. Whatever the paint or dye is they use to dye these plastic/rubberish covers is turning into a super sticky mess. I got a lot of it cleaned off down to the base black rubber/plastic, but it's not easy to do and I have a lot more to do. I'm going to see what it would take to take the airbag out so I could do a more thorough job. I bought a color matched interior dye/spray I intend to put on when I get it ready, but the factory dye or paint is turning into a nasty goo.
Not on my 2006. I'd pull the airbag and see if it's scorched from overheating.
Does anyone know what the procedure for pulling the bag is?
I read one forum saying unplug the battery for 30 minutes before unplugging it and then I read it can only be reinstalled with a computer... I've pulled many airbags in the past, but they were from late 80 early 90 cars and I'm sure it's no longer as simple as it was then.

Back