PCM Help... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PCM Help...

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
So I found out that my pcm isn't grounding one of the fuel injectors and it's causing rough idle, and I have to get the oem number off the pcm itself unless I wanna pay $1175 for a dealership part, I tried to remove the pcm myself and I have a hard time getting it off the bracket under the glove box, not to mention the splash guard being even harder to remove, so I wanted to know if there is a way around all this or am I pretty much stuck? If I can get a replacement in my hands then I can just go for it but I cant even shop for one because they need the oem number, they said not just any pcm will work it has to have the same number, any ideas? Thanks!

So I found out that my pcm isn't grounding one of the fuel injectors and it's causing rough idle, and I have to get the oem number off the pcm itself unless I wanna pay $1175 for a dealership part, I tried to remove the pcm myself and I have a hard time getting it off the bracket under the glove box, not to mention the splash guard being even harder to remove, so I wanted to know if there is a way around all this or am I pretty much stuck? If I can get a replacement in my hands then I can just go for it but I cant even shop for one because they need the oem number, they said not just any pcm will work it has to have the same number, any ideas? Thanks!
Pry off the passenger side plastic kickplate after removing the plastic sill plate. I disconnected all the connectors in the way, set them out of the way, tie anything out of the way blocking access to the PCM. From underhood, remove the 3 PCM connectors by unlocking the plastic swing-away latches, which when swung out also unhook the plugs. Remove the 2 nuts from the PCM bracket studs and push back on them to loosen them bracket off the firewall (inside, gooped up with insulation. From inside the vehicle, pull PCM toward you far enough to clear studs from holes, then work it downwards and toward you until it's in the clear. Bracket comes out with it. Some other things may need moved, I forget, but it's obvious. Don't fear loosening brackets holding harnesses and/or disconnecting them. imp

I got as far as trying to pull it towards me after the bracket nuts were off, I didn't have enough time to finish it and I was afraid of damaging it trying to force it out plus it was on the jack stand which made it harder to get to, might try again later. Thanks!

I got as far as trying to pull it towards me after the bracket nuts were off, I didn't have enough time to finish it and I was afraid of damaging it trying to force it out plus it was on the jack stand which made it harder to get to, might try again later. Thanks!
Keep at it, you'll get it out. First time is hardest, next is easier. imp

Back