PCM programming?

Road1

Reaction score
City, State
Sparks, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 FPIU
2017 FPIU
If Ii end up having to swap out the PCM for one taken from another FPIU, does the "new" one need to be programmed?

If so, can FORScan do this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If Ii end up having to swap out the PCM for one taken from another FPIU, does the "new" one need to be programmed?

If so, can FORScan do this?
No. FORScan can not do programming.

Programming will have to be done at an authorized facility and the programming will be documented in the vehicles history and noted in your local Department of Motor Vehicle data base.

Main reason for this is because the VIN information embedded in the PCM will have to be modified to match the VIN and barcode on your vehicle.

Without programming your vehicle VIN information into the new PCM, your vehicle will fail MOT and emissions inspections because the visual VIN on the vehicle and the embedded VIN in the PCM do not match.

The mismatched VIN would be no issue here, and probably many states.

VIN number is no issue whatsoever, I'm in an area that doesn't require smog checks.

Is there any other consideration involved with swapping PCMs?

Mismatched vin would cause abs / brake light to illuminate which fails in most states. You can buy a day IDS subscription from ford for $40 if you have access to a J2534 programming box.

You also have to program the keys as well. If yours is push to start you must call a locksmith.

Okay, to make this more clear:

I have a 2017 FPIU. I don't have transponder keys or remotes. I am in an area where I don't need to have smog checks/inspections.

If I swapped PCMs without reprogramming, is there anything which will cause an actual problem with operation of the vehicle?

Okay, to make this more clear:

I have a 2017 FPIU. I don't have transponder keys or remotes. I am in an area where I don't need to have smog checks/inspections.

If I swapped PCMs without reprogramming, is there anything which will cause an actual problem with operation of the vehicle?
It would definitely illuminate the abs / brake light if it actually starts. You also have to relearn the crankshaft sensor or you will have issues under WOT. It will miss on 2 cylinders after 5 seconds of WOT without crankshaft sync.

Alot of the later 3.7 pcms are similar. I think explorer, edge and transit all run the same pcm from like 15-17. Only reason I know this is I just used an Edge computer in an 18 transit with a 3.7.

It would definitely illuminate the abs / brake light if it actually starts. You also have to relearn the crankshaft sensor or you will have issues under WOT. It will miss on 2 cylinders after 5 seconds of WOT without crankshaft sync.
Cool, this is information that I needed.

I just saw your chasing a charging issue from your other post. Seen this a few times and most the time it's a weak belt tensioner. It gets stiff and won't spring back to tension the belt on the alt. Usually the ac will still work just because of the way the belt is routed.

I just saw your chasing a charging issue from your other post. Seen this a few times and most the time it's a weak belt tensioner. It gets stiff and won't spring back to tension the belt on the alt. Usually the ac will still work just because of the way the belt is routed.
I replaced the belt, and the tensioner seems to be working ok.

The alternator is turning, but no output. It had intermittent output for a couple of days, but now nothing.

I'm figuring it's due for a rebuild, but I'll take another look at the tensioner, just in case.

YOU CALLED IT!!!

I put the tensioner tool on, started the engine, and applied pressure on the belt, and suddenly the alternator was working just fine!

So there is a happy ending to this thread! Sometimes we overlook the simple stuff, it happens.

Back