• Register Today It's free!

PCV Valve on 4.6l 3V V8

ronstott

Reaction score
City, State
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 EB '02 XLT '92 XLT
Maintenance schedule indicates that PVC flow should be checked on the 3V engine. I ordered a Motorcraft replacement PVC valve to be on the safe side. Examining the engine I haven't located anything that looks like this part. They are usually easy to located. On Generation 3 V8 they are located on the valve cover, a pretty normal position for a PCV valve. To double check that this is a valid part I checked a number of parts sites. There are a number of part houses that associate this part (EV-269) with this engine. A number of parts houses don't stock a PCV value for this engine. For example FordParts.com didn't.

Does anyone know where I can locate an exploded diagram for this engine without having to buy a service manual CD or an expensive subscription service.

It is also possible that the PVC value is built into the intake manifold which would create a bit of confusion, since this would be atypical.

Has anyone that has this engine (2006 to 2010) in the Explorer configuration has had the PVC flow checked or have replaced a PVC valve?

Cheers!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Flag Gibby,

Thanks for responding back. I had viewed this Ford diagram once before, but was unable to interpret where the PCV value is actually located when I visually inspect this area of the engine. The PCV valve (6A666) dashed line should intersect the valve cover at a fitment interface, but none is shown. In addition, the PCV valve that is said to be for this year and engine is inline, whereas, the line drawing part shows an elbow configuration. I haven't ran across this configuration for this motor from any source. They also show the same inline configuration.
Even later last night, I visited the EBSCOhost site (mention here at explorerforum for some other topic). The information that it provided was that for the 3V Explorer engine the PCV valve is built into the valve cover and if the valve is bad the valve cover needs to be replaced. If one can make the assumption that the Ford diagram is attempting to suggest that the valve is inside the valve cover, then maybe we have closure, but the remaining issue would be whether the valve is replaceable, or is replacement of the valve cover required.

Robert

Yes, the dashed line in the diagram indicates that it is on the inside of the valve cover and the hose connects to it on the outside of the valve cover. I am confident that it is just pressed into a rubber gasket on the valve cover and can be removed once you pull the valve cover off to get access to it.

Flag Gibby,
Would also be interesting to pull the valve cover off to see if there is any varnish on anything. I have been using Mobil 1 as the Syn component when creating a blended oil.
Robert

Flag Gibby,
Would also be interesting to pull the valve cover off to see if there is any varnish on anything. I have been using Mobil 1 as the Syn component when creating a blended oil.
Robert
would it be a good idea to install in line pcv if the one in the valve failed
'

Back