• Register Today It's free!

Penetrating lube for spark plugs?

BradE.

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 4x4
I am going to be changing the spark plugs and wires soon and am somewhat worried about busting a plug off. They are the factory plugs and I currently have 77K miles.

So I was wondering this; Is is o.k. to spray the plugs with penetrating lube prior to removal to help avoid busting one?

Any tips are always appreciated. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'm not an expert on that....but my gut feeling is telling me you dont want get anything in there so if you do use that use little of it...also when you put the new plugs in put some anti-sieze solution on it so they will be easier to take off the next time...it also helps if the engine is as cold as possible to get the plugs off

Just finished my 4L SOHC and unless your engine is very rusted you shouldn't have any problems. Looking at several of the posts before I started this task it seems the OHV engine is the easiest one to do. Either that or the person who wrote the post was double or triple jointed. :) It took me about an hour a side and I wasn't in any rush so things went smoothly. It really helped reading the suggestions that others had posted before I started. I only had 39,000 on three of the (I assume original) plugs and an unknown lesser amount on the other three but the first three really needed changing. They still ran OK but the gap had worn to .060 and the electrodes were very rounded. When people mention breaking a plug they mean the porcelain top (if you can break a plug off at the base you are spending way to much time at the gym :D ). The only plugs you care about breaking off are the new ones so if you're careful and use anti-seize you should be fine. If possible don't use a universal when you are tighten a new plug as they tend to go off center and could brake the plug. Good Luck.

Thanks Guys!

I plan on trying them from the top first. I am going to use a combo wrench and the spark plug socket. My socket has a head on the end that allows for use of the wrench, it seems like that will be easier than trying to get a ratchet down there.

Now I just need to order my wire set from Ford Parts Network and I will be ready to go!

Does anyone know why when inspecting the spark plugs that they must be put back in the cylinder they came out of? Why would it matter?

Also, is it a good idea now that the plugs are good for 100K to just loosen them then tighten them so they don't become stuck at the time that you really need to replace them?

if your going to go throught the effort to loosen the plugs just put some anti sieze on the threads too...that way they pretty much garenteed not to get stuck

My suggestion is a socket, extension, universal joint or wobble joint & ratchet. Vice grips or channell locks for the plug wires. Put new plug wires back on. Take your time & dont rush it.
Oh ya, I wouldnt put any penetrating oil on the plugs. I get a can of compressed air and blow around the plugs before removing them so I dont bump some sh*t down hole reinstalling the plug.
Also when installing the plugs slip a foot long length of 3/8" rubber hose over the end of the plug and use that to thread the plug into the cyl. head. The hose grips the plug well enough to turn it if it isnt crossthreaded. It does make it easier.

Just came back from my test ride and there was a significant difference in engine performance after changing plugs with only 39,000 miles on them. The plugs may still be firing at 100,000 miles but I can't believe that their performance and thus gas mileage will be any where near normal.

Does anyone know why when inspecting the spark plugs that they must be put back in the cylinder they came out of? Why would it matter?
You only have to put the plugs back where you got them from if you want to track how each cylinder is firing. If you change the plugs around then you won't have a true history of cylinder operation after the first time you look at them. Unless you plan to check your plugs every 10,000 miles I'd just change them every other year (30,000 miles). The six Autolite Double Platinum plugs came to less than $20 after the $6 Checker rebate. How much is your time worth?

OBTW, I only needed a 3/8 ratchet, sparkplug socket, a 3 inch and a 6 inch extension to change them.

Back