• Register Today It's free!

Performance Meter/MPG Measure

Rayz2000Sport

Reaction score
City, State
College Dover DE,Baltimore(Essex) Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer Sport
Does anyone know of a good/cheap performance meter to measure my gas consumption. I know that good and cheap arent two things found together when it comes to performance meters, but all I really need/want is one that will measure MPG. So, if anyone knows of a plug in that will measure my MPG please let me know. I have been trying to search online but can not find many results, is there a more specific name for what I am looking for? I found a relativly cheap option on ebay, its was called the driveright car chip I believe. You plug it in and it records numerous engine conditions, then you unplug it and plug it into a computer and you can analyze the data. This seems ok, but I would much rather have something that can be mounted and have a clear reading of gas mileage while I am still in my truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can calculate it yourself.....

In the '80s a few cars (like my old '84 Caprice) came with a mileage gauge. It was nothing more than a glorified vacuum gauge. The higher you kept the vacuum the better mileage you'd get according to the gauge.

you can calculate it yourself.....

I know I can calculate it myself but it is much easier to look at a gauge. That will also tell me how my driving habits are effecting my mileage in real time. Calculating it (which I do now) does not allow for this. There is a driver information center that I could get from Ford (it was a factory option), but it is very complicated to install. I would much rather buy and after market product that plugs right in. This way I can be provided with real time data on my fuel consumption.

I have seen scangauge before and looks really good, like what I am looking for but I need to find one maybe used. Just because I dont want one for that much money. I really just want MPG measurements, accurate or not.

Back