Phenolic Intake Spacer for 4.0 SOHC | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Phenolic Intake Spacer for 4.0 SOHC

I haven't been able to find anyone that manufactures this spacer for my 2001 Ford Explorer sport 4.0 SOHC. If you know of one then please let me know.

If not, i'm planning on building myself. I've found a couple of suppliers for the material. Please let me know if you've found any suppliers that carry 1" thick G11 phenolic. Or, if there's a better grade, then let me know that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

snocross1985 said:
What other gains are to be had by using a plastic upper intake manifold? Would it be better to make ones own phenolic spacer, or swap in a plastic upper intake manifold from a newer OHV? Or would both be better? Would it be worth it to do both? Just kinda throwing some questions out there, as this is pretty interesting.

From what I'm getting out of this is; It would be better to concentrate on lowering the engine compartment temp first. This would be ambient temp for the intake right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Short of running without a hood, is no way to lower the IAT at speeds below about 40 MPH, above which the IAT will be close to ambiant anyhow.
I have tried ducting, I have used 12V muffin fans, I have wrapped my MAC intake tube with header wrap.
The reality is: say your IAT is 50 degs over ambiant (thats 5 H.P.) as soon as you get up to speed it will drop to ambiant.
5 H.P. in a lead sled is peanuts JMO

spindlecone said:
Short of running without a hood, is no way to lower the IAT at speeds below about 40 MPH, above which the IAT will be close to ambiant anyhow.
I have tried ducting, I have used 12V muffin fans, I have wrapped my MAC intake tube with header wrap.
The reality is: say your IAT is 50 degs over ambiant (thats 5 H.P.) as soon as you get up to speed it will drop to ambiant.
5 H.P. in a lead sled is peanuts JMO

While were on this subject, I knew a guy, that new a guy, that routed an ac vent to his intake? Not sure what this did but it's sort of funnny.

Don't pine about the IAT, just work on surpassing the best,N/A, bolton, flashed,numbers, ever posted on this site, dyno proven.
You have a goal, go do it:)

spindlecone said:
Don't pine about the IAT, just work on surpassing the best,N/A, bolton, flashed,numbers, ever posted on this site, dyno proven.
You have a goal, go do it:)

I've got the goal. But, do I have the plan? Much research is needed.

And as far as HP. Not only do I want the greatest N/A HP but I want to flatten out the torque curve as much as possible.

Spindle - Your going down buddy. Charish your charts for they will be obsolete shortly. hehehe

Jakee said:
I've got the goal. But, do I have the plan? Much research is needed.

And as far as HP. Not only do I want the greatest N/A HP but I want to flatten out the torque curve as much as possible.

Spindle - Your going down buddy. Charish your charts for they will be obsolete shortly. hehehe
NOT, couple more mods in the works as we speke :D

spindlecone said:
NOT, couple more mods in the works as we speke :D

Wait for me to catch up bud!

No really...I don't want to talk to much crap cus you obviously have some good numbers so far. Keep up the good work.

It may take me awhile to catch up with you cus I have some house projects I need to complete first or my wife will be pissed. ;( As soon as I get those complete I'm off to catch you!

By the way.

Not that I didn't want to listen about the phenolic intake spacer, but just wanted to make sure that it truly wouldn't be a benifit. I mailed a guy from supersixmotorsports and he thought it wouldn't be a benifit either. So the majority rules. A phenolic intake spacer for the 4.0 sohc isn't going to do much if anything.

410Fortune - Thanks for you help on this. You saved me some wasted time.

Spindlecone - Not to swell your head up more, but I did some searching on some mustang forums and your numbers are still the highest I've seen with the 4.0 SOHC.

Let the compitition begin:)

competition? not for a V8 hahaha

:)

410Fortune said:
competition? not for a V8 hahaha

:)
haHa 410, I am making more H.P and TQ than any OEM 2 valve ford V8 :D
as used in the Exs

yes yes you are which is awesome I commend you.
I am a big fan of the SOHC 4.0L after they figured out the tensioner issues, especially mated to a 5 speed and 4x4 :)

Why would you leave the V8 un modded though?

spindlecone said:
Let the compitition begin:)

Just took out the AC. 10 more horses baby!!

Joking. I'm not going that far.

Even though it's been pretty much determined that heat is not an issue with the 4.0 SOHC, I wanted to share this info with anyone that might have a heat problem. I learned that a lot of people successfully relocated the IAT sensor away from the heat and to the intake arm. I don't know anyone personally that did this but I found this topic over the Internet. Anyways, for what it's worth, if you are having "heat" issues, this may be something to look into.

Supposedly, what this does is lowers the temp the sensor is reading, thus causing the computer to advance timing and adjust air fuel mixtures, resulting in better performance.

Ford moved the sucker in later models to the intake tube as well.....actually combined it with the MAS

I haven't been able to find anyone that manufactures this spacer for my 2001 Ford Explorer sport 4.0 SOHC. If you know of one then please let me know.

If not, i'm planning on building myself. I've found a couple of suppliers for the material. Please let me know if you've found any suppliers that carry 1" thick G11 phenolic. Or, if there's a better grade, then let me know that

Back