Pics of fuel filter with >100K

KPT

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XL 4x4
So I've never changed my fuel filter before, had no reason to. I finally got around to it. Truck had 59K when I got it and apparently this isn't the OE filter, its a "Service 1" brand.

Doesn't look as bad as I thought it would.

filter1.jpg

filter2.jpg

Oh and for those that haven't changed yours yet, have the gas can for the mower handy. Even though I pulled the fuel pump relay and let the engine run until it died there was still a large puddle on the garage floor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow that looks purdy.. :X

Light it on fire!

Agreed! Torch it! lol.

That doesnt look bad at all for 100k miles on it. Only problem with a dirty filter that's asymptomatic is it usually makes your fuel pump work harder.

I'm suprised it didn't blow up in your hand when you cut it open...

It looks like you used a cut-off wheel of some type.

They make openers for inspecting filters. If you cut it open like that, it can blow up in your hand, and/or put metal shavings in the filter media, making it impossible to know the status of your fuel system. Rusty lines/tanks can be diagnosed my inspecting a fuel filter....1st gens' have Plastic Tanks, 2nd Gens have Metal Tanks.

Ryan

shove it on the end of an old axle shaft = tiki torch!

I would quickly cap the end with my fingers to keep as much gas inside as possible. Then I would shake it and blow into the outlet side forcing the contents into a glass. Water content is as important to know as dirt.

When changing a fuel filter I always have a handful of golf tees handy. Whenever a line is disconnected I immediatly push in a golf tee in each opening whether it is dripping or not. Overall it keeps fuel off the floor and makes less of a mess. Then I pull the tee from the INLET side of the filter and pour the contents into a glass beaker to see what is there, looking for water, excess dirt and debris, etc.

When changing a fuel filter I always have a handful of golf tees handy. Whenever a line is disconnected I immediatly push in a golf tee in each opening whether it is dripping or not. Overall it keeps fuel off the floor and makes less of a mess. Then I pull the tee from the INLET side of the filter and pour the contents into a glass beaker to see what is there, looking for water, excess dirt and debris, etc.

Good idea. Im gunna mooch it. :)

Nice tip: golf tees

Hey, that is the best tip i've seen so far in the site, i use rags but the mess is for sure, not to mention the gas spilled on my hands :rolleyes:

Back