• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filter

sakirfp

Reaction score
City, State
Forsyth GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 XLT 4.6
I was going to change my fuel filter but can not figure how to take it off. I depressuized the fuel system. I got up under the Explorer and took off the clips that hold the fuel filter on. I just could not figure out how to get the filter off. Does it need a special tool?

Firman

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, you need a special tool. I got one for like 2 dollars at the parts store. Ask the guy at the counter. It comes off relativly easy if you have the little tool and know how to use it.

Thanks...I will try and look for it...

I should have no problem once I get the tool...

Yeah, just get the tool. I got one with two different sizes because I wasn't sure what size to get.
Then I just shoved it into the line and pulled the line back from the filter.

My Haynes manual talks about all sorts of fittings which I didn't see, so I just shoved it in there and pulled.

I had an F-150 where you just pulled the clips off and the filter came off, so I figured this would be the same, so when I pulled the clips off, I pryed the hoses off the filter and totally wrecked the clips inside the hose, but with the external clips it has held up perfect. No leaks or anything. Now if I have to change it again, it will be really easy!!

With the tool, you will be able to get it off. However, beware! It will resist. Mine was a b****

Just did mine last weekend, the filter was very tight, also be careful of residual fuel in line, I depresurized the sytem, but still got wet, make sure you wear eye protection.

Back