95ExplorerLtd

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Hymera, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Limited 4x4
Hi everyone,

We finally are getting started restoring this old beast, and I wanted to show some before pictures of it. (In previous posts I said it was a '79, but its a '78, my bad)

fdd25ff4.jpg

Its a 3/4 ton F250 Ranger, powered by the 400 V8:

fdd25feb.jpg

It has the full time transfer case, the NP20-something, I cant remember which one. This is fed to a front open Dana 44 and rear open Dana 60:

fdd25ff9.jpg

It rolls on 16.5" steel 8 spoke Progressive chrome rims and 33x12.50 Remingtons. They're in pretty bad shape, and will probably have to be rechromed somtime. This is a rim that I cleaned up and tried to make look good:

fdd25fe6.jpg

Here is a side shot to show the whole truck. You can see how much clearance the tires have even with the huge crane mounted in the bed. The crane is a huge load on the truck though, since its resting on the overloads right now, and you can see how the rear end sags. The crane is coming off soon. You can also see the air tank, reverse mount lights, and the A-pillar spotlights.

fdd25fe1.jpg

The front bumper, grille, and headlights surrounds are in great shape and I think the front of it is the best looking part :p

fdd25ff0.jpg

The truck is going to be a bit of work, but I've started locating parts and everything we'll need to restore it. It still runs and drives, but we're suspecting a burned up valve in the motor and a bad header gasket. We're going to have to do major rewiring since most of the auxiliary lights dont work, and neither does the heater, AC, radio, etc. The carb is going to be replaced also, and we're trying to find the right Holley 2 barrel, one with an electric choke. Can anybody help us out here? All I've been able to find is ones with manual chokes.

Theres alot of work ahead for us, but we've got a good base to start with. The body is still pretty sound, but the doors and fenders will be replaced. The service bed, hood, and roof will be sandblasted, and teh whole thing repainted the original brown color. But this will come after the motor is built back up.

Well, thanks for looking, and feel free to add input or advice!

Grant

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Solid!

My only recommendation to you is to take that ugly thing off the back and to find a regular bed for it!

I wish they STILL made Rangers with V-8's!!!

I never heard of Ford having a 400c.i. engine. Do you mean 390, or maybe 460?

I had a 78 it was a great truck I had a big camper for it, I took that thing all over. The speedo had turned over 3 times it had a 400 in it, that thing loved the gas they do not make them like that eney more.

The 79 Bronco I bought to steal the dana 44 from had a 400cid. The engine is sitting in my garage right now, if anyone wants it, let me know ;)

I agree, take that stuff off the back. But put a flat bed back there and keep the air tank. That will be nice and useful offroad. BTW, what are your intended uses for the truck? Tow rig? Offroader? Daily Driver? or just a cool restoration?

Well, its main purpose would be for a daily driver. My dad runs I guess around 20 miles a day to get to and from work, but he works at a mine, so things can get really muddy out there. We also would be using it for camping, fishing, etc. We do alot of fishing in the reclaimed areas at the mine, so you get the deep sloppy gooey mud and the slick clay mud.

The service bed will stay on, I'm pretty sure on that, because we want it to be functional. My dad has more tools than I could ever count and prolly a bunch that I dont even know he has, so he would be hauling tools and stuff around. Right now he's working on getting a trailer to pull behind the truck to haul his welder, generator, and argon tanks so he can make on-the-job calls and have all his stuff right there at hand. The service bed wont look all that bad once it is painted to match.

He wants to get new leafs front and rear for it, and that ought to really gain us some more clearance and I tried to talk him intoa body lift and 35's, but he wants to stick with 33's, so right now I'm trying to talk him into the new BFG muds or Swampers, not sure what he'll go for.

Back