Pictures of the i beam pivot points. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pictures of the i beam pivot points.

fordkid88

Reaction score
City, State
Madison Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer
I was wondering if anybody would be willing to snap some pics of the pivot points of the i beams and the engine cross member, mainly just the short arm. I need pics of the rivet location and how it mounts to the cross member. Its snow pretty hard here and I cant get out to mine at the moment. I think im on to something for the lowered guys or the guys who what to go lower.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Guessing you are looking for a 2WD pic (I-beams)?

I have this...
232950_26_full.jpg

I have this...
232950_26_full.jpg

Perfect, thank you so much!

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Fall2003/flipkit006.jpg

This is the same side beam mount on a ranger. Notice how its on the outside of the cross member where explorer is on the inside, with about a rough estimate of an 1 1/2" to 2" relocation it would put the beam in the correct location for the bend of the beam. I did have to shave the bushing to get it in. Now I just have to relocate the mount.

What do you think?

Whats your plans ? , Curious on how people modify stock stuff to make it custom , I like the Built not bought theme ! .

The ranger 2wd crossmember is different from the explorer. .thats been a known fact..

I dont understand what you are trying to do or say...I think your are trying to use the mounts from a ranger with dream beams on a explorer, which wont work unless you swap the engine crossmember. .people swap those because they give better ground clearance and you can use ranger dream beams..but the crossmember is riveted in and needs to be cut out in order swap it, you cant just swap brackets. .

I dont understand what you are trying to do or say...I think your are trying to use the mounts from a ranger with dream beams on a explorer, which wont work unless you swap the engine crossmember. .people swap those because they give better ground clearance and you can use ranger dream beams..but the crossmember is riveted in and needs to be cut out in order swap it, you cant just swap brackets. .

My first thought as to why he wanted the pic was maybe to cut and raise the stock pivot point , but as soon as I looked at the posted pic I realized that would be sketchy and run a risk of the beam hitting the engine cross member , not sure of his thoughts or plans , but thats What I first thought of when I read his post and then scrolled down and seen the pic .

Im not trying to lay the truck out. I just want to get it about 3" lower. My thoughts are that if I can move the pivot point to closer match the geometry of a ranger I could get away with using drop beams. I would have to move the pivot about 2" closer to the rear of the frame, not up. I have the beams, so there is no turning back. I've put so much time and effort into this truck that I cant turn back now.

Im no stranger to removing frame rivets, I use to have a 93 ranger that was horribly abused by its previous owner and needed all the leaf spring hangers replaced.

I had thought about getting the ranger cross member, but the scrap yards around here dont have to many rangers left, and what they do are rusted to hell.

Its going to be very hard to match a ranger.the complete crossmember is different as well as the width of the frame and obviously you know pivot placement. If it was me I would have bought explorer beams and sold the ranger beams or just used drop springs.

Anything can be done but the ttb is pretty sensitive and hard to setup correctly. Keep us informed on how it goes, new options are always great;)

I have this...
232950_26_full.jpg

Its going to be very hard to match a ranger.the complete crossmember is different as well as the width of the frame and obviously you know pivot placement. If it was me I would have bought explorer beams and sold the ranger beams or just used drop springs.

Anything can be done but the ttb is pretty sensitive and hard to setup correctly. Keep us informed on how it goes, new options are always great;)

Chassis tech beams were out of my price range, and I havent heard anything good about them.

Im hoping I can bring something to this fine community to give us options like you have, your sport trac rotor conversion is brilliant and is on my list of required upgrades.

Back