• Register Today It's free!

piece in steering wheel

yyc_tbird_sc

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92
For a while I've gotten the odd thump feel through the steering wheel. I thought that the rag joint was going, and I planned on eventually changing it. Until the other day...I went down the back of a hill faster than I usually do, hit a bump and then it felt like something was loose inside the steering wheel. After driving around for a couple hours, I made it home with no problems except the horn would occasionally sound for no reason.

When I took the trim off the steering wheel, I found what appears to be a lead weight loose. It appears to have been mounted in the center near the metal support bars via three rubber feet that obviously ripped. I've been driving for a couple days since this, and no side effects from just tossing it.

Was it just a vibration dampner or what?

vibration dampner
Yep that is what it is. You can find 1 in any 1st gen X, Bronco II, or older Ranger at a junk yard.

I had the same problem. The rubber shock mounts tore loose. I glued them twice but it didn't hold until I used high-strength epoxy. I think I used so much that its mounted pretty rigidly now, so it may not provide much damping, but it doesn't go "clunk" anyymore!

Bob

Back