• Register Today It's free!

Pinpointing an Oil leak

ParkerRocker

Reaction score
City, State
Hayden, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer Sport
I was just wondering how you would go about pinpointing the source of an oil leak. I suspect that my power steering return hose is also leaking. but there is so much crap built up underneath it that it's hard to see exactly where it would be leaking from.

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how would i go about cleaning it? i figured i would, but idk how. Power washing? i'm just hesitant because of the electrical components.

or as devel said clean it as best as you can, and put dye in it that can be seen with a black light. what will happen is when or when it starts leaking again, it will have the dye in the oil, and when you put the light on it, you can trace it. some parts stores have then, but you will have to check. when you light it up, you can't miss it. normally it will be like a neon green under the light, but you will not see it under a ordinary light.

Steam Cleaning

It is fine to pressure wash the engine compartment just avoid directly spraying the alternator, battery and ignition coil. Another tip is to leave the engine idling while you clean it (if you spray too close to something you shouldn't the engine will warn you by shuddering.

FYI the lower intake gasket is often the culprit of oil leaks.:roll:

Back