Pioneer's new AVIC-D3 - anyone installed in an Explorer? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pioneer's new AVIC-D3 - anyone installed in an Explorer?

Finally got the AVIC-D3 Installed with the Ipod adapter. I am extremely impressed with this thing! Both the NAV and the IPod integration work flawlessly.
Installation in my 99 was pretty simple. I used the metra double din kit for explorers (99-5805). I had to dremel off the lip on the top and bottom of the radio bezel, and after that, the unit clicked right into place. If anyone needs any wiring help, PM and I can help out. Its also bypassed.

Pics below

CIMG1202.jpg

CIMG1205.jpg

CIMG1204.jpg

Here's a pic of the cardboard security device that will keep prying eyes away.:eek: (With tinted windows, all you see is black...no color contrast like in the pic)

CIMG1207.jpg

That looks amazing! nice job! I cant wait to do something like this in my 95.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ive got an avic-z2 waiting to go in my 97..just waiting for my dash kit to arrive and it should be good to go. This thing better damn well not skip!!

The D3 is fully able to be bypassed. Move the mute wire on the harness up 1 pin, ground that wire along with the parking break wire and you're set. I'm not sure about the z2, you might want to check www.avic411.com

z2 is also bypassable by the same method but also need to burn new software onto a cd and run it through the unit

does the stock 6 disk changer work with the avic-d3?

I'm getting a AVIC-D3 installed soon an wondered if the stok 6 CD changer in my 2000 Explorer wil work with the AVIC-D3. Anyone know if it will? Really want to be able to play CDs in the changer while keeping the navigation disk in the D3.

i did a d3 once when i was working at bestbuy in the install bay. theres not much to it. just make sure you read the directions and match up the right wires. and if your going to do it yourself, you can jump the brake wires and put the turn-off's on the acc and ground, so you can watch videos while your driving or any other mode. if you do it the factory way or if you have any legitimate business do it for you they will wire it so you can only watch movies in park (automatic) with the emergency brake on.

I'm getting a AVIC-D3 installed soon an wondered if the stok 6 CD changer in my 2000 Explorer wil work with the AVIC-D3. Anyone know if it will? Really want to be able to play CDs in the changer while keeping the navigation disk in the D3.

no it can't. get a pioneer changer or even better would be an iPod

Back